Monday 16 February 2015

The madness begins...

So, today was the first day of the busiest week of our year and our cook called in sick... It meant that Sophie and our assistant cook, Ricky, had to take over catering duties and very good at it they were, too! Mondays are normally the quietest day of a half-term as we are normally closed on this day and I think that customers assume we still close in the holidays.

The weather has been horrible today, to make matters worse. I went to Booker first thing and put one of our cones out to stop customers parking by the exit door, but when I returned in the pouring rain, someone had squeezed their car in as close as they could get and we were forced to unload in the middle of the car park. I was furious! Dad and I got soaked to the skin so that wasn't the best of starts! I heartily wished I was anywhere but at work!

Sophie and Ricky coped admirably with the orders and managed to get everything cooked and out without any delay. I spent most of the day clearing tables and doing some washing up but we had plenty of staff in, including one of the new girls, so we were OK.

After work Sophie and I went to the gym and managed a swim, which was lovely. It's been a long time since we were able to get into the pool in the slow lane, so we made the most of it and then went and relaxed in the sauna and the jacuzzi. Afterwards we had hot showers and then battled through the traffic and roadworks to get home.

Keith was there which was surprising. He said that his mate Dave was ill so he didn't go out...I wished he'd called me as we wouldn't have loitered so long at the gym!

No comments: