Wednesday 11 February 2015

A well-deserved relaxation!

I knew that today was going to be a busy one at work when we had customers queuing to get in at just after 9.30am. Of course, Sophie was due to meet friends at lunchtime so we would be losing her at 11am, just the sort of day when we desperately needed her help!

We waited for the Booker delivery to arrive but I had to take Sophie before it came and we went to pick up her friend Laura from the other side of town. When I got back, the Booker lorry was stranded in a sea of cars and the driver was tearing his hair out as he'd blocked some customers in who wanted to leave!

Keith and I tore about offloading the delivery in between manning Reception as Polly was helping out in the kitchen. The place was heaving with customers and I'd never seen it so busy during the week!

We put all the delivery away and I rushed about clearing tables, washing up and helping Keith on Reception. Just as I was sorting out a party booking I saw a customer go over to Reception and Keith pointed at me. This sort of thing always makes me nervous as there's normally a problem somewhere and today this particular lady was complaining about another customer who'd been rude and aggressive to her blind sister. It turned out that a mum was in the restaurant to get some napkins for her son who'd bumped his nose. Polly asked whose turn it was next and apparently there was a misunderstanding between a blind woman and this customer who'd "apparently" pushed in and been rude.

Just as I was listening to the story unfold, the two women involved came over and started screaming at each other. I tried to calm all three women down but the blind woman was actually the most aggressive one, screaming at the other customer and almost coming to blows! I finally managed to separate them and tried to explain that it was a simple misunderstanding that had obviously got out of hand! The woman with the hurt little boy was crying and I offered to get her a cup of tea but she said she was OK and didn't need anything. Being in the middle of it all, with other customers ogling what was going on, was not pleasant!

Luckily, both parties stayed away from each other for the rest of the afternoon but I was mightily glad when the two sisters left about an hour later! When Sophie returned from her lunch at Pizza Hut I told her what happened and she was mad that she'd missed all the fun!

After work we went to the spa at the gym and had a lovely relaxing session. It was definitely needed after today, let me tell you!

No comments: