Sunday 8 February 2015

An early morning shock...

I awoke to glorious sunshine and just as I was settling down with a cup of coffee and the newspaper at 8am and feeling really happy and relaxed, the phone rang. It was Mikey asking to be picked up...

I ran upstairs to get dressed and told Keith who was still languishing in bed. It certainly didn't need two of us to be disturbed and I told him that I'd get the Sunday papers and buy Mike some breakfast as I was certain he hadn't had anything.

As I was about to leave, the phone rang again and it was an anguished Michael telling me that he'd broken the screen of his iPod again...I couldn't believe what he was saying as we'd only just had it repaired and I hadn't even paid my credit card bill! I was furious but he sounded so contrite that I said we'd sort it out when I picked him up and got into the car.

It was a gorgeous, but very frosty, morning and Mike was waiting for me at the top of his friend's road. He hadn't taken a coat and looked frozen. We went straight to the petrol station where I bought him a bacon and cheese turnover and then we headed home. He constantly apologised for breaking the screen which was completely shattered. I said that there was no way I was paying for it again and that he'd have to cough up the money to get it replaced.

Back home he went straight to bed and stayed there for most of the day. I later found out that he'd told Keith he'd stayed up all night, yet he'd said to me they'd gone to bed at midnight which I found hard to believe!

Sophie was working again so she drove us into work and we had a bit of an argument with a wall which she clipped, scuffing the wing mirrors very slightly... Today she seemed to get very close to parked cars which was a bit alarming and although we seemed to have solved the stalling problem, she needs to be careful of getting too close to the left side of the road. Because of this she went into work a bit subdued which was a shame as she'd felt so good about her driving yesterday.

Keith and I went off to Asda as we'd ordered some school shirts for Mike and they were due to be delivered after 1pm but we hoped they'd be in as we were nearby. Sadly they weren't and just as I said to Keith I'd treat him to a coffee in Waitrose the phone rang and it was Sophie to say she wasn't needed at work after all.

We went to collect her and she drove home again, a little more carefully this time! I suggested she give Jim a good clean as the poor car was covered in mud and salt but she looked at me like I'd said something completely outrageous and flounced off to her room. As it was such a beautiful day I decided to give the little Honda a good clean and while I was rinsing the car down Paul and Sue came over for a chat with Bailey and Archie, their two cockapoos. We chatted for ages in the sun and I learnt lots of gossip! What a great thing the village grapevine is! I learnt that a B&B in the village has been taken over by an Indian lady and her English husband and the lady is planning to put on a "Pop-up Indian restaurant" once a month. My Dad will be pleased!

In the afternoon Sophie and I went off to Beckworth Emporium for a mooch about and a cup of tea but the queue for the cafe was horrendous! We certainly didn't feel like waiting just to have a snack so we left and went to the garden centre near Wootton. They have a Costa Coffee outlet there so Sophie was more than pleased as she ordered a Creamy Cooler (made with soya milk now!).

We had a quick look at the fish and then it was home to a moody Mike and a delicious roast lamb dinner!

No comments: