Friday 27 February 2015

Playing games...

I was mightily glad that today was Friday and my last day of work for a while as I'm taking next week off. Sophie and Keith came in with me and I was very relieved they were there to help out as today has been another manic day.

Keith and I escaped early and went to the bank and Tesco but Sophie called me as we were driving back to work to ask how long we'd be as she said the food orders in the kitchen were mounting up...

We got back and I went to help serve, clear tables and wash up while Sophie cooked alongside Maureen. Keith kept an eye on Reception and for the next two hours it was non-stop. At one point I felt like screaming as I was trying to clear up the horrendous mess left by some customers, serve in the kitchen, wash up trays that Sophie and Maureen needed and help Keith on Reception when he had a card payment to put through...! Then, to cap it all, a customer came to complain about the nappy bins being full in the loos so we had to go and sort that out! Arggh!

It calmed down a bit in the afternoon but having a heavy cold did not help matters, especially as I was so stuffed up I could hardly breathe! Polly came into work at 5pm so Sophie and I were able to escape and go home where I had a soak in a hot bath and then a half hour nap.

Tonight I'd been invited to Lynda's house, along with Fiona and Andrea, for a meal and to play "Cards Against Humanity". I'd bought this very un-PC game for Mikey for Christmas a couple of years ago, and although it can be very funny, it's not for sensitive souls or those who are easily offended!

Keith very kindly drove me to Lynda's house where Fiona and Andrea were already waiting, drinks in hand. Lynda gave me a small glass of Gold G&Tea which was gin crossed with tea, with flecks of gold leaf! Apparently it's available from M&S. I'd never heard of of it before!

Just before we went in to eat we enjoyed a more conventional glass of pink sparking wine and then we drank an Italian red with our delicious chilli con carne. It was a very informal supper and it was great to relax with my friends and have a good chat. Before dessert we played the card game and although Fiona was a little unsure at first, we did have a hilarious time! Some of the answers to the questions were so funny we all had tears streaming down our faces so it made for a lovely end to a busy and stressful week!

Lynda gave us meringue nests for dessert and we could add whatever we wanted. She'd provided bananas (no thanks!), ice-cream and various sweet sauces, but unfortunately, my sense of taste and smell had disappeared so I didn't go mad as I couldn't have appreciated the different flavours. We played the game for a little while longer and then Fiona's husband came to collect her, shortly followed by Keith.

He was a little surprised by a sudden road closure near to Lynda's house and as we made our way home we realised that the road was indeed firmly closed. It meant we had to back-track and go a fair distance to get back on the road we wanted. I'm just glad it happened after Keith picked me up as he admitted he wouldn't have been sure of an alternative route on his own!

It was past midnight when I arrived home and I was more than ready for my bed!

No comments: