Saturday 21 September 2013

Money, money, money!

This morning, after a late start (I felt a little fragile after the mixture of drinks last night!) Sophie and I went off to Tesco to buy Keith his Birthday presents and to get a new phone as my daughter's current Blackberry had had it.

We enjoyed a coffee in Costa Coffee first and then went and bought Keith some goodies for his Birthday on Tuesday. He'd mentioned to me that he wanted some slippers (yawn!) and a bottle of Irish whiskey, so that is exactly what he will get!

We then went over to see about a phone as Sophie had her heart set on an iPhone. She wasn't really interested in the latest iPhone 5 and was quite happy to have the iPhone 4s. The salesman was very helpful and for only a couple of pounds more than I'm paying now for her monthly contract she got her wish. She has said she will pay towards the phone every month and I've capped the contract price so she won't be able to go over like she has done with Vodafone!

Back at home she started to play around with it and downloaded the latest version which took a couple of hours. While this was happening I suggested we go and look at cars for her (no, I haven't won the lottery) as I wanted to get some idea of what she liked, how much we will eventually have to pay and how much the insurance will be. Last night Andrea, who has a daughter the same age as Sophie, was telling me that the insurance for her daughter's car was more than the actual car itself! She recommended getting a black box as if Sophie drives well, her insurance premium will fall after the first year.

When we told Keith what we planned to do, he said he didn't want us to go as he was afraid I'd come back with a car for Sophie...this was ridiculous as I'd definitely learnt my lesson with buying cars after I bought a Rover on impulse about 12 years ago, just because I liked the colour! I must admit buying and selling cars is not an attractive prospect so we bowed to his wishes and went to Market Harborough instead.

The grey weather had given way to sunshine and blue skies so we strolled about the town and Sophie treated me to an ice-cream for buying her some books in Waterstones. It was a very pleasant way to spend an hour and on the way home we took the back road through Draughton to admire the views. Tomorrow is the Autumnal Equinox and the countryside was looking its beautiful best under the late summer skies!


No comments: