Tuesday 13 November 2012

A rant about Christmas...

Well, it's happening already, isn't it? On Sunday night we watched the first episode of I'm A Celebrity on ITV and we were just bombarded with adverts about Christmas! To me, it almost verged on hysteria as all the big shops lined up to hit us with their idealised versions of the festive season, showing "happy" families preparing for the big day and stuffing as much food and drink into their mouths as possible. And as for the new John Lewis Christmas advert...call me a cynic but it's Bah Humbug from me...!

I wish with all my heart that we were escaping this country again in December - Christmas was heaven last year and so low-key in Lanzarote! I am dreading all the build-up to what is, essentially, one single day, when lots of families just can't afford to provide loads of presents for their children and tables groaning with food. The stress to have the perfect Christmas is ridiculous!

I think there should be a law introduced that bans all mention of Christmas until early December. My two have already written out their lists of what they want with Michael asking for some truly strange presents, including a Ken (as in Ken and Barbie) doll...huh? Is he having me on? And some Meme (???) bed covers? What's all that about?

To be honest, I don't want anything, other than all of this hysteria to die down and for us to have a magical and peaceful Christmas where the emphasis is placed on celebrating with family and friends and just being thankful for what we have already. I would like snow, long walks in the country, a cosy pub with a log fire and an endless loop of It's A Wonderful Life playing in the background...with no adverts to ruin the dream!

No comments: