Tuesday 3 May 2011

A word on books...

I've been doing a lot of reading lately - it's one of my favourite things to do on holiday. I managed to read four books in two weeks - a bit less than normal!

I ordered two books from Amazon before I went, both by Helen Dunmore. I'd read her books, The Siege and The Betrayal, set in Russia in the 1940s and 1950s and enjoyed them both. The Siege was set in Leningrad during the war when the Germans laid siege to the city, starving the occupants for three years, whilst The Betrayal followed the two main characters after the war and was set against the tyranny of Stalin. As I'd enjoyed them so much I chose Talking to the Dead and A Spell of Winter, both of which turned out to be a bit bleak - not really holiday reading!

I finished both of them really quickly and treated myself to a book in the supermarket, Norah Robert's The Search which was very difficult to put down! Fiona Bristow is a dog trainer who moved to the island of Orcas to escape the killer who tried to take her life and succeeded with that of her fiance. Although the murderer is in prison he's trained another man to carry on his evil deeds and Fiona is firmly in his sights.

As we were delayed, I bought myself another three books - Something Borrowed by Emily Griffin, soon to be released in cinemas, Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay, a harrowing account of the round up of Jews in Paris in 1942, which I finished on the plane home, and Driftwood Cottage by Sherryl Woods (which I haven't read yet).

And yesterday The Moment by Douglas Kennedy arrived which I've just started!

No comments: