Saturday 7 May 2011

Wandering around graveyards again!

Mum and I went down to Kent again today to see Nan as I haven't seen her for ages. We had lunch and then went for a drive to Swanscombe to see if I could find the graves of my great-grandparents. We'd been told to turn left when we entered the graveyard but it took us ages to find them and I was on the point of giving up. It was great to find the grave which was a bit over-grown so the next time we go down we'll take some flowers and tidy the plot up. The grave contained my great-grandparents and their son Harold who had Downs Syndrome and died when he was 47 years old.

After visiting the graveyard we drove back to Southfleet, the village where a lot of my mum's relations come from. We parked in the car park of The Ship Inn and went inside for a drink and I discovered that part of the pub was built in 1385 so my relations must have used it at one time or other in the past! There was a fete going on in the village and when mum and I went for a wander around the graveyard we could hear someone doing a very bad impression of a U2 song! Not the sort of thing I expected in such a quiet little village!

No comments: