Sunday 8 May 2011

Family research

Last night, after dinner, I did a bit of research into The Ship Inn in Southfleet and discovered that one of my family - my Great Grandfather's brother, William - ran the pub in the late 19th century. He was listed as Landlord in 1858 and 1862. This morning I looked into him a bit more and found out that his wife Catherine was born in Guernsey and that he died at the very young age of 43 in 1864. Catherine then married a man called William Mitchell and ran the pub with him. He was 22 years younger than her!



I find it all completely fascinating and would like to go back and see if the present Landlord has any more information. No wonder I liked the pub yesterday!

In the afternoon Mum, Soph and me went to the cinema to see Something Borrowed, the film of the book I've just finished reading. It was very good and stayed faithful to the novel which was great. I hate it when you see a film after reading the book and it's completely different.

The weather has been dry today after the torrential rain we had last night. The garden is looking much better after its drink and I'm just grateful it's sunny as we're barbecuing again tonight!

No comments: