Saturday 14 May 2011

A little wine appreciation!

Tonight is our Wine Evening, the theme being Italian vino. Soph and me set off for Market Harborough in the afternoon as Duncan was doing a free tasting of Port in his shop and I love Port. As soon as I walked through the door he handed me a glass of Portugese white called Soalheiro Alvarinho saying that it was the wine of choice of U2 when dining in Porto! Wow! I found it very fresh and clean, but a bit dear at £17.99 a bottle! U2 have a lot more money than me! The next tasting was another white, Quinta do Correio Branco, which tasted very nutty and, as Duncan said, would go very well with roast chicken. I had one small sip of a 10 year old Port which was delicious (and expensive) but then declined any more samples as I was driving and went off to look at his extensive section of Italian wines.

I really was spoilt for choice and most of the wines were ones I'd never heard of before. I chose a red and a white, had a good chat with Duncan and Nick and then put them in my car which was parked right outside the shop!

Soph and I had a mooch about the town before visiting Kettering as I needed to go to M&S. Kettering town is a sad little place which always makes me feel sad myself whenever I go, which isn't often. It's amazing how Market Harborough is a thriving place with lots of little independent shops while Kettering had more than its fair share of empty retail outlets and "To Let" signs.


I've certainly picked a good day for the Wine Evening...it's the FA Cup Final as well as the Eurovision tonight but the idea to drink a wine from each country that takes part will have to wait!

No comments: