Sunday, 30 August 2026

Trying something new

Sophie drove to Daventry this morning to do a run with her work buddy, Becky, while I did some housework. On her way home, she called at The Workhouse in Brixworth to get a matcha and a pastry for us. We sat and chatted at the kitchen island and enjoyed our impromptu lunch!

First thing this morning, I had covered almost a pound of cherries with caster sugar and cherry liqueur as the first stage of making a cherry clafoutis. Once Sophie came home, we did the rest of the preparations together, making the batter and a buerre noisette (a brown butter). I was frightened it would burn, but it didn't, thank goodness! We added the cherries and juice to the batter mixture and popped the dessert into the oven to cook for about forty minutes.

Once it had cooked, we let it cool down a little before serving it with cream. I didn't want to have it after our curry tonight as we rarely eat dessert late in the evening, so it was an afternoon treat!



The afternoon was spent relaxing, and Sophie and I watched an episode of Escape to the Sun about a couple wanting to move to Costa Rica to live, even though they had never visited before. Predictably, they didn't buy anything, and when we Googled them, they're still living in the UK!

Before our dinner of Keith's curry, we played Scrabble and Sophie beat me. This is becoming the norm! Our meal was delicious, and we followed this up with an episode of Carpe Diem, which is rapidly becoming one of our favourites!

No comments: