Keith and I watched the last episode of Best Medicine after eating this evening, and it will certainly be a series I'll miss! I'm 99% sure there is a second series, so we'll watch out for it!
Wednesday
I said goodbye to Sophie this morning when she went to the gym, and went back to bed for a little lie-in until 8:00am. Michelle, my friend and neighbour, was coming around for coffee mid-morning, and I quickly tidied up and hoovered before she arrived.
We had a good chat sitting in the conservatory, but she had to leave at midday as I had an appointment with Gabriel at 1:00pm. Every minute of today has been taken care of! I'm determined to have one Wednesday without any appointments!
Gabriel and I chatted, and he gave my left calf a deep massage. I told him I'd knocked my heel on Sunday and had aggravated the pain in my heel, so he didn't make me do any exercises. I drove home, had a quick bite to eat and went to see my Mum. She was surprised to see me, and I suggested we go out for a drive, something I heartily wish I hadn't said!
We drove out towards Harrington and then Arthingworth, retracing the route Sophie and I took on Saturday. In the distance, I could see several huge wind turbines and decided to see if I could drive near them and photograph them with the cloudy sky behind. I love seeing ranks of them in France!
We drove near, but the road I was on brought me out onto the busy A508. Over the Bank Holiday weekend, there is a music and arts festival, Shambala, going on and a lot of people were arriving for that. I indicated to turn right and saw a Jeep approaching. He slowed down and indicated left, so I went for it as there was a queue of traffic behind him.
However, instead of turning left, he carried on, and as I went to go, we collided with the most awful crunch and bang, and my Mum and I were thrown about. It was horrible. I couldn't believe it had happened, and the passenger got out of the car, shouting at me as to why I had pulled out! Because the driver had indicated, although, in hindsight, this wasn't a good idea!
The car belonged to the woman passenger, and her friend was driving. He was a complete wally and just sat in the car bleating about me pulling out. The woman got into the driver's seat and moved the car as it was holding up a long line of cars.
We exchanged details and took photos of each other's cars, and then they drove the short distance to the entrance to the festival. The woman shouted and harangued her friend and wouldn't calm down, although I said we would get it sorted out. She was furious!
I was just glad that nobody had been hurt, but my Mum was a little shaken up. I drove carefully home after calling Keith to let him know. When we got home, he said I wasn't to drive it any more as the indicator wasn't working and he was worried about any unseen damage.
I phoned the care home to collect Mum, made her a cup of tea, and we started on the claim with my insurance. I felt angry with myself after almost 40 years of accident-free driving. Within half an hour, Mum had been collected by Anna and Alice, and Keith and I finished the claim form. The VW would be collected and repaired, and I could have a courtesy car while the car was being fixed. We then called Sophie, who was a little shocked but said she would work from home tomorrow to help out. We could then use Olive.
The rest of the afternoon and evening were a little subdued, and none of us fancied dinner, so we had leftovers from Monday night. I remained annoyed with myself for making such a stupid mistake, but I was just glad it hadn't been more serious. Lessons will be learnt!
No comments:
Post a Comment