Saturday, 22 August 2026

A tale of two pubs

Sophie was taking part in a 5K run in Rugby today and left at the very early hour of 7:30am. No lie-in for her today! I was awake at 6:30am and waved her off before having another coffee! 

My morning was spent doing some necessary but boring tasks, mainly related to money. I also looked at new flooring for our kitchen and living room and printed off the invoice for when we had our kitchen renovated in 2021. I am extremely disappointed with the floor we have and have noticed that it's Luxury Vinyl Tile, which is supposed to last 15-20 years. The area around our bar stools is scratched, and we have two cuts in the floor where we dropped cast iron lids onto it. I suppose this didn't help! The stone tile we had when we bought our house seemed to fare much better, and I'm determined to get it right with our next floor!

Sophie and I went to see Mum in the afternoon, and it wasn't the best of visits. She was having a "low" day and cried a bit when we were there, despite one of the lovely carers coming in and bringing her drinks and sweet treats. I do understand how she feels, and I hate it when she says she misses her home and all the lovely things she used to have.

After we visited, we decided to drive to Braybrooke and visit The White Swan, which has just been taken over by new management. We took our drinks through to the garden where several other people were already enjoying the afternoon sunshine. Sophie tried a half pint of  Everards Tiger Copper Ale, and didn't think much of it! I stuck with my Guinness Zero after insisting on having a half pint glass! 

We sat in the garden, chatted and munched on prawn cocktail crisps. Sophie had eaten a big breakfast and felt a little queasy again. She thinks that a meal after a run (they'd completed 9K in the end!) wasn't a good idea!

From Braybrooke, we drove through rural countryside to Arthingworth and The Bull Inn, a pub I'd been visiting for decades, but only every now and again. The man serving was very chatty and told us all about his side hustle of being ground crew for Virgin Hot Air Balloons. 

We sat all alone in the garden again and enjoyed the peace and quiet. It was bliss! A little boy kept coming near us every so often, and I could tell he wanted to speak to us, but was very shy, bless him!

Reluctantly, we finished our drinks and drove home, where Keith was watching football. The new season has definitely started, and my husband and daughter are looking forward to seeing Newcastle play Liverpool live tomorrow afternoon. 

Dinner tonight was chicken wraps with assorted salads, and our film choice for the evening was Insomnia, starring Al Pacino, Hilary Swank and Robin Williams, playing an uncharacteristically evil role!

No comments: