Wednesday 8 May 2024

What a busy day!

I was facing a busy day today with many errands and things to do. First up was a visit to Kingsley Beauty Salon for electrolysis on my upper lip. I DO NOT want to become one of those hairy women you see, so I had arranged an appointment to look at what needed to be done, and then do away with any rogue hairs that had surfaced. 

The beautician carefully explained about hair growth and said that she could reduce any hairs significantly, but not obliterate them completely, as the little buggers have a habit of popping up in different places! She examined my upper lip area, said things were not as bad as I feared and spent fifteen minutes inserting an ultra-sharp needle into the follicles and zapping them away. It hurt, but luckily it was only momentary. However, when she zapped a couple near my nose, I nearly went through the roof! The things us wimmin have to do!

Keith had come along with me and was waiting for me in the car, so from the salon, we dropped our huge bedspread off to be cleaned at the launderette, and then went to the Weston Favell Centre. After my contact lens appointment last week, I had asked for a sample box of the new multi-focal lenses and they were ready for me to collect. I sat with one of the staff and changed my lenses over to the new ones, I was so impressed!

After the trauma (!) of the beauty appointment, I needed a coffee so we sat in Costa Coffee and relaxed for ten minutes before returning to the car. As Keith closed the passenger door of my car, the glass in the wing mirror fell out, smashing into smithereens on the ground! We had to try and collect as many bits as we could in case someone drove on them and punctured their tyre. 

Next up was a visit to Jones's (I so miss Wilko for their homewares range and gardening stuff) where we spent a delightful hour buying loo brushes, laundry pegs, glue, cleaning cloths, drain cleaner and candles. What an exciting shop!

I was waiting for a text from Dunelm to tell me that the pillowcases I'd ordered at the weekend were ready to collect and it came through just as we were leaving Jones's. We went to get them and then popped into Curry's to look at fridges for the garage. We wanted one to store bottles of beer and other drinks now that the warmer weather has arrived, and we saw one that fitted the bill perfectly. It was an under-counter fridge and even had a small freezer. Luckily, it was in stock and a very helpful man carried it out to the car for us.

Our next port of call was B&Q to replace our barbecue gas but they no longer supply Calor Gas so we were told to go to Bell's instead. We popped into Aldi for bread and lager, and then drove to Bell's, somewhere we hadn't been for years as Keith had fallen out with someone there aeons ago. I was hugely impressed when we went in as I didn't realise they supply kitchens and bathrooms. I just thought they sold fireplaces!

The department selling Calor Gas and barbecues was right at the back of the shop so we moved the car around to the rear car park and exchanged our gas bottle very efficiently with another friendly man who remarked on Keith's northern accent! Keith said he was an extra in Vera, and yes he was the murderer!

By now, it was warming up and the temperature was about 24c. We headed home, more than ready for a sandwich and a cold lager. Keith emptied the car and as he shut the driver door, the glass in the wing mirror fell out, smashing into smithereens on the ground... no, I haven't repeated myself, this was now both wing mirrors out of use! I couldn't believe it!

After putting everything away, having lunch and drinking a much-needed cold glass of beer, I found a company online to order two more mirrors for £40... 

The rest of the day was spent catching up with the normal Wednesday jobs and trying to write the shopping list, always such an enjoyable chore!


No comments: