Saturday 22 October 2022

An unexpected arrival!

Keith and I were out early this morning as I'd booked my Autumn covid booster at 9.50am. He dropped me off and I was in and out very quickly. It was such a smooth process and very straightforward. My last booster was in December 2021 so I was glad I was able to have another jab.

From Moulton Park, we took a parcel to a local shop to be returned and then headed to Beckworth to buy our Christmas turkey. Keith told me to pick one out while he went to the loo, but when he returned, he said the one I'd picked out was too small! He went and chose another that was a monster! We definitely have five on Christmas Day, but there may be 6 of us, although I think Abbie will spend the day with her Mum. There will be plenty for leftovers on Boxing Day and turkey curry!

Back home we were just preparing brunch of ham, bread and eggs when I saw a familiar car outside... it was Abbie and Mike! She dropped him off and I just stood and stared at my son who hadn't said a word about coming up to see us even though we had visited them last week! We were all totally shocked!

He shared our breakfast and I made him a coffee as he looked extremely hungover! He had been out with friends in Northampton last night and had partied a bit too hard, by all accounts! He mooched about for a while and then asked us to take him to Brixworth to see some more friends.

Sophie prepared the dinner - an intriguing dish called Jok Moo, which is a Thai pork and rice porridge! As she was preparing it, the food smelled delicious, and that was before it was cooked! She marinated the minced pork in various spices and soy sauce and it looked lovely.

Keith went to watch the football this afternoon, and because Sileby were playing away, he went to Moulton. Sophie and I relaxed, and just before 5pm, Mike called us to pick him up. I did think he'd be out for the night, but he came home and cooked himself a pizza, even though we said we'd have more than enough dinner for him!

Sophie and I played Scrabble, enjoyed a Martini, and then she cooked dinner which was indeed, very porridge-like. It resembled a thick rice broth and Sophie rolled up the mince into small dumplings and popped them into the "porridge" to cook. It was a lovely, hearty and very warming meal. We had contemplated the idea of eating in the conservatory as there were four of us, but in the end, we made do around the kitchen island. Mike said he wasn't staying overnight and after our delicious meal, Abbie came to collect him. I think he had been planning on going out with friends but maybe his impromptu arrival meant that they were all busy!




No comments: