Wednesday 26 October 2022

A peaceful browse.

After a lazy start to the day, Keith and I prepared tonight's meal - Mulligatawny soup. He prepared the vegetables while I simmered everything in a casserole dish along with some curry spices, mango chutney and paste. It smelt delicious!

It's been a beautiful day today with sunshine, blue skies and mild temperatures - perfect for drying the washing outside! In the afternoon I collected Mum and we drove to Bosworth's garden centre in Burton Latimer. The car park already looked busy and we tried to make straight for the café but the store was absolutely rammed with Christmas decorations! I have never seen so many crammed into a small space in my life. I even saw some giant gonks!


The amount of merchandise for sale was huge! Literally, every surface was covered with stuff! We finally made it to the café without mishap, as Mum was using her new trolley to help with her stability, and I had visions of displays toppling as she banged into them! 

There was a queue of people waiting for a table and a sign saying there was a fifteen-minute wait... after a little while we decided to abandon the idea as we were both gasping for a cup of tea, so we re-traced our route through Burton Latimer and went to Seasons garden centre instead.

It was much quieter and more peaceful than big, busy Bosworth's, and there was no wait for the cafe. Soon we were seated with a big pot of tea and a slice of cake for me. Mum happily munched on a chocolate bar. After we'd eaten we had a lovely wander around and I bought three cookbooks, one of which was a Spanish recipe book, which I knew Sophie would love. It was lovely and peaceful and even the two parrots were a bit subdued this afternoon!

I took Mum back and she said she'd had a lovely afternoon, which it was. Just how we like it! I took the scenic route home as today has been so beautiful and Autumnal. I would say it's the height of the season now, with the trees changing colour and fallen leaves everywhere.

When Sophie came home she was delighted with the books and we looked at all the different recipes. We're going to try a chicken filo recipe over the weekend but we have lots of ideas for future meals to try.

Before I made the final preparations for the soup, we sketched out an itinerary for Berlin and decided to take Sophie to the Reichstag, as she hasn't been there before. Other plans involve a return to the Olympic Park and KaDeWe.

I blended the soup, brought it to the boil and then added rice, before letting it cook slowly for twenty minutes. Served with naan breads it was delicious and perfect for an Autumn day! 


No comments: