Monday 19 September 2022

Saying goodbye...

I think I've made good use of my bonus day off and kept busy most of the time! I did watch some of the funeral, and it was on in the background, but I sorted out Sophie's laptop that's coming with us, checked the batteries in my camera and started packing.

It's been a dull, dry day with lots of cloud cover, and in the afternoon, after a disappointing lunch of leftover casserole and dumplings (frozen, so it took forever to cook), I went out into the front garden and weeded the soil that had been infiltrated by some kind of ground cover weed. I tidied it all up, swept up yet more dead leaves and it looked a lot better when I'd finished. I can't remember the last time I went out into the front garden, and the plants have gradually taken over now, which is what I wanted. It was so hot in the summer, and the soil so dry, it would have been torture to try and do anything there!

Sophie went to the gym at 2pm, as they had re-opened, and I went inside and had a shower. At about 3.30pm, Michelle came around to have a chat and talk about Monty-cat and looking after him while we're away. Sophie came home and we sat and had a cup of tea in the conservatory, so that was a highlight of the day.

After Michelle had gone home, it was time for Scrabble (a bonus game) and then dinner. The funeral was still going on and had moved to Windsor. It was an amazing spectacle, and I don't think any of us will see another monarch on the throne for seventy years, so it has been a momentous occasion.

Although BBC1 was full of the funeral coverage, BBC2 was back to normal with Only Connect and University Challenge. I suspect Keith and I scored more points between us than the losing team this evening, who managed 50!

No comments: