Friday 23 September 2022

Panic stations!

I was working with Emma today and unfortunately, there was just the two of us so not much chance of doing any other work. Luckily, it wasn't busy, but at 3pm she went to work on our reception desk, leaving me on my own for an hour. I was mightily glad when 4pm arrived and it was time to go home! That's it for two weeks!

On the way home I put some petrol in the car, ready for tomorrow, as I'm not sure many places would be open at 3am! Keith had done lots of jobs today, and as soon as I got home I put the clean duvet cover and pillowcases back onto our bed, which was one chore I'd been dreading! My back was very painful and I just hoped the long car journey over the next couple of days wouldn't make it worse!

Sophie arrived home and very kindly hoovered the house while I did some more jobs. Keith asked me to look after one of this credit cards for him and when I went to put it in my purse, I noticed that one of my Dad's bank cards was missing... I had taken some money out at an ATM on Wednesday... did I get the card back? Unfortunately, I went into major panic mode, and couldn't remember whether I'd given him the card along with the money. I called my Mum and Dad but Mum said she didn't have the card in her purse, only the money I'd taken out.

She said she would call me back so, trying to calm down, I went upstairs and started to pack. When she called me back she was adamant she hadn't got the card, and Dad said I hadn't given him the card when I handed over the notes. By now, all manner of scenarios were running through my head, such as the card being stolen and used, so I had no option but to go to the care home and try and sort it out, something I certainly didn't have time for.

Sophie offered to come with me so we sped over, me feeling even more panicky. We had to wait to get into the building, and we raced upstairs to find my Mum still looking for the card, the contents of their locked drawer everywhere. Dad said again I hadn't given him the card back, and just as I was about to call the bank, Keith phoned. The card was at home as I'd given both debit cards to him keep safe while we were away. I remembered giving Keith one card but not the other, so all I can deduce from this is that I'm going mad! The relief was immense, and we apologised to my poor parents for causing them worry as well. At least they got to see us one more time before we left!

Back downstairs there were no staff about, and an elderly man appeared who had been visiting someone. He went off to find someone, but in the end I called the care home to ask if someone could let us out! Just after I phoned, a nurse appeared so we were free!

Driving out, we saw the elderly gentleman walking off and we offered him a lift. He was delighted and said we only needed to take him up to the top of the hill and he would be fine after that. We were only too happy to help, bless him!

Back home, it was definitely time for a glass of wine and some dinner! I was angry with myself for reacting so badly and a bit worried that I hadn't any recollection of giving both cards to Keith! Dinner was only jacket potatoes and salad, so no major preparations! After we'd eaten I finished packing and then we loaded up the car. We had two large suitcases, two overnight bags and a big bag of items for the kitchen, such as washing tablets and kitchen roll! In the end I decided not to take my coffee machine as I was worried about it getting broken in the back of the car. I had seen a coffee machine in the photos in the Airbnb, so that would have to do!

We all went to bed very early this evening and I set the alarm for 2am!


No comments: