Friday 3 December 2021

Water problems...

Sophie had today off work so I got myself up at 6.30am and had a coffee before showering. Yesterday I'd had a sore arm but it felt better today. I was very relieved as several people I know have been quite poorly with the Moderna booster, the one I had on Wednesday.

At work, Sheila got me to test the new payment method we're trialling at the moment. Rather than use card machines to take our payments, we're using World Pay software on the computers instead. It took a bit of getting used to, but by the end of the shift, it was a breeze. We had to take a bit more information from the customers, but if it saves money, then it'll be worth it.

I was very glad to leave at 4pm and everyone wished us a happy holiday...hmmm! I just wish I was looking forward to it a bit more, but with all the rules and regulations, I am dreading the flight tomorrow!

At home, Sophie had cleaned the house and washed everything that didn't move, so everywhere looked beautiful, and smelt lovely and fresh. Keith and I did the rest of our packing and weighed our case which was about 19kg. We've arranged for two cases to go in the hold at 23kg each, so we're hoping that will be enough!

Before dinner, we went through the reams of paperwork, and I put Sophie in charge of everything. We have both digital copies and printed copies of our Covid passports so I'm hoping everything will be in order!

Keith and I had a sneaky game of cards and, after he thrashed me again, we had dinner. Zain was getting the train and was due to arrive at about 9pm. We were just sitting enjoying an episode of Top of the Pops from 1984 when disaster struck... Sophie went out to the hallway and noticed water dripping from the ceiling. We all rushed upstairs to find one of the pipes in the airing cupboard leaking badly, with water everywhere. We were lucky the water didn't go onto the electrics like it did last time...

We were all shocked, especially as the leak showed no sign of stopping. Sophie had to go and get Zain so she set off into the foggy night while I searched for emergency plumbers. I found one and he was able to come out within the hour and do a temporary fix until we get home next week. He charged £270 but for our peace of mind when we're away, that was worth it.

Sophie and Zain arrived and when they weighed his case it was already 15kg. My daughter's make-up probably weighed more than that, so they had no option but to buy another hold bag for Zain at a cost of £64! I just feel like we're throwing money about at the moment! It will make things easier when we get back, though, as Zain is going straight home to self-isolate, like us!

After all the drama it was a relief to go to bed and try and relax!

No comments: