Friday 10 December 2021

Living in a bubble...

The new rules meant that the three of us had to self-isolate until we received a negative PCR test. I was expecting the tests to be at the house ready for us, but nothing had arrived. I checked my emails to find a message from the company saying that they would be delivered on Monday... not really what we wanted!

Sophie was not happy, as she needed to get back to work as soon as possible. She had arranged to work from home on Monday but it was looking like she'd be doing that on Tuesday as well. I had swapped shifts so I had Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday off, but I really needed to be back at work on Thursday as planned. I took a lateral flow test today, just to be sure, and it was negative. Looking back on the holiday, we really only came into contact with a lot of people on the train to Soller, so I was hoping we'd all be fine.

Most of today was spent washing all of our dirty laundry and getting it dry. The house resembled a professional laundry at times! We unpacked and all of the paperwork we'd printed out went straight into the bin for shredding at a later date. There was so much of it!

Luckily the weather today was sunny and dry, but it was cold. I felt like we were in a bubble as we weren't allowed to go anywhere or see anyone until we got the results. The omicron variant is now causing a lot of problems in the UK and is spreading fast. Who would have thought this would still be going on this year?

Sophie and I played Scrabble in the evening and dissected the holiday. She was a bit sad she hadn't spent more time with us and had missed seeing Puerto Pollensa and Cala San Vicente, but there's always next time. And I sincerely hope there will be a next time, although I don't think it will be any time soon with the way things are with travel. 

Dinner this evening was gammon steaks and homemade chips. I certainly didn't miss cooking and washing up on holiday!

No comments: