Sunday 19 December 2021

Result!

I finally received the result of my PCR test today - on day 10! As predicted, it was negative, but that was hardly any surprise! We're still waiting for Keith and Sophie's results, but I have a feeling they will arrive tomorrow. Mine was the first to be delivered, even though all three were posted at the same time.

Results or not, we were going out today and we'd decided to visit a monthly food market in Woburn. It was still foggy and cold, but that didn't deter us from driving over to Buckinghamshire. When we arrived, there was some kind of running event on, with people dressed up as elves or Santas. They all ran into the car park in Woburn and the place was packed! We did a couple of laps of the car park and eventually pulled into a space left by one of the runners.

The food market was held near the busy junction and an old building where there used to be monthly antique auctions. This building is now an interior design shop and worth a browse around if you're feeling flush!

We ambled over to the market and we were astounded by what was on offer - there was an Italian stall, cheeses, olives and Greek foods, coffees, mulled wine and different ciders, an Indian stall selling flatbreads and samosas... lots to see and eat!



We had a hot chocolate each first, to warm us up as we wandered around, and Sophie bought some flatbreads for work tomorrow, and some samosas to go with our meal this evening.

It was lovely to browse the stalls and look at all the different foods on offer. Particularly popular were the brussels sprouts stalks and people were wandering around with them, no doubt destined for Christmas Day!

As we hadn't had breakfast we decided to try the turkey and stuffing tacos on offer from a food truck. Mr & Mrs Fitz were doing a roaring trade, even though there was just Mr Fitz today, and we joined the queue. The man cooking was obviously a character as he had a bit of banter with everyone who was waiting. When it was our turn, we had a chat, but when I offered my card to pay, he said he didn't accept plastic... in these times? He said not to worry, we could pay later when we got home via Paypal! How trusting was that!

Sophie raved about the tacos but I wasn't so keen. There was a lot of them, with fillings that were overflowing, and I just knew I'd end up wearing them! I picked out some of the turkey and stuffing but threw the rest away as they were just a little too spicy for my stomach first thing in the morning!

Before we left the food market we had a mulled wine, and then we had a look around some of the shops that were open, including Zoohause and Minchin and May but we didn't buy anything. I was saving my money for this afternoon when I was hoping to complete my Christmas shopping! 

We'd had enough of wandering around so we decided to head home and have an hour there before collecting my Mum at 2pm. The fog had become even denser, and it was bitterly cold. Not great at home with our heating woes!

We collected Mum at 2pm and drove to Tesco in Kettering. Sophie had been asking for donations at work for the Food Bank and had about £120 to spend. Mum went off and did some shopping while we filled a trolley with baby items, personal care items and lots of food. We filled the trolley just like we did last year!

Sophie took it all back to the car while I tried to get into the festive spirit, but it was so busy I couldn't concentrate! The aisles were full of people, and there was an atmosphere of panic everywhere! I still find it hard to believe that it's Christmas next weekend!

Sophie and I gave up trying to get anything and I suggested a coffee at Costa near the A14 before we took Mum back. The cafe was busy and I have to admit I felt a bit uneasy at being so close to crowds of strangers in a warm area. We had a coffee and chatted and then took Mum back. I felt guilty as both Sophie and I had been so stressed, but is it any wonder at this time of the year?

Back at home, Sophie put the finishing touches to a Chicken Tikka Masala she started preparing yesterday. She had marinated the chicken in a homemade mix of spices and yoghurt, and she cooked the entire meal by herself this evening. It was delicious!

It's back to work tomorrow - it's going to come as a bit of a shock!

No comments: