Wednesday 8 December 2021

A Mallorcan Winter Break - Day 5

Holiday hospital visit.

Keith and I didn't have the best night's sleep. Maybe it was the coffee in the Tia Maria? Is there actual coffee in it? Anyway, we awoke this morning feeling a bit bleary and facing a trip to the hospital in Alcudia. Zain had managed to book appointments for us at about 11am, so we decided to meet for breakfast at 9am, so we could leave at 10am, giving ourselves plenty of time.

We went down to the breakfast room to find nobody about. The owner had told us yesterday that she would set us up on a table for four, but all the tables were just for two. I was desperate for a coffee, and the Lavazza machine was saying it needed pods, so I couldn't get one. There were various jars of cereal, bread for toasting, and yoghurts lined up on shelves and in a fridge, but we didn't know whether to help ourselves or sit and wait.

Eventually, she appeared and said she'd put us in the other dining room. She then brought us a bowl of different slices of bread and some pastries, along with a plate of cheeses, hams and butter. I asked about the coffee machine and she showed me where the pods were, so I could at least get my fix!

Sophie said I was such an ogre in the morning (I'll admit I am until I've had at least two coffees) and to my annoyance, the water ran out after my first cup, so I had to trek next door to the other machine and get one there! Hmph!

Sophie said that on Tripadvisor someone had described the breakfast as "exceptional" and it was good, but I didn't think it was outstanding! We were also given a bowl of scrambled eggs but I would have preferred to choose the bread and pastries myself!

At 10am we set off for Alcudia and took a very narrow road from Pollenca. Keith and I thought this road was the one we had to use when we rented a villa in the countryside back in 2006, and it was a real ordeal to drive into the town every night for a meal!

We arrived at the hospital with plenty of time to spare and saw the sign for the Covid testing department. But it didn't say where it was! We queued at reception, and it took ages for us to be seen. There was a respiratory department nearby, and a couple of children in the queue were coughing non-stop. Just what we needed!

We started to get worried we would miss our appointment as the woman on reception kept pushing us back until she'd seen other people. When we were eventually seen, she said our appointments were in Palma, not Alcudia...

Luckily, we were able to make new appointments there and then, and at about 11am the first of our little party was called in to be swabbed. The nurse carrying out the test was wearing the full hazard outfit with mask and visor, and she asked me to sit down and put my head against the wall before she stuck the swab far, far up my nose! She then rotated it for five seconds and that was it. We would get an email with the results later in the day.

Sophie reacted badly to the swab as her nose is very sensitive, and when we got back into the car she started sneezing uncontrollably poor thing. I was surprised at how far it was stuck up our noses!

Back in Pollenca, Keith and I dropped Sophie and Zain off at the hotel and we parked the car. We then walked up to the square with the intention of having a drink at Ca'n Moixet. Today, it was open and we sat right outside the bar and waited. While we were there I managed to complete my Passenger Locator form... that tells you how long we waited to be served!

In the end, we gave up and decided to drive to Puerto Pollenca for lunch. Today was another public holiday, and more people were out and about in the resort. We chose El Casinet, which was right on the front with views over the sea. A few other people were already seated and they were mostly Spanish, so that was a good sign. We took a seat under the awning, hoping that it wouldn't rain!

Keith chose rabbit while I opted for a Caesar salad and the food was very good. My salad had loads of vegetables in it, with crispy chicken and bacon.



It was bliss to sit and have a long leisurely lunch and watch people coming and going, some of them with dogs who yapped at everything! One lady arrived with a dachshund and a little chihuahua in her bag and ordered a pizza to take away. While she waited she sipped on a glass of wine. What a lovely idea!

After we'd eaten and paid the bill (about 40 euros) we headed back to Pollenca. Sophie came into our room and said she'd been grappling with Keith's Passenger Locator form for the last couple of hours. She was having difficulty uploading his Covid passport. We tried everything we could but in the end, we had to admit defeat. I started a new one and stated that we couldn't upload it but this was accepted and I soon had the form on my phone to show when we arrived in the UK. The good news was that the results came in from our test this morning and they were all negative!

A little shopping trip.

Sophie wanted to go shopping for a new ring, so I suggested we go and relax for an hour. Keith had found a book to read so we set off and headed towards the square. I think that because it was a public holiday a lot of places were still closed, but we found a gorgeous little shop on the Calvari steps that was open.




I envied the owner of the shop so much... It was a gorgeous little place selling jewellery, clothes and pretty little knick-knacks, and her cat was curled up on a chair in the corner. Heaven!


Sophie bought some earrings and we continued wandering around. It was so peaceful, and the sun was beginning to set, giving the town a magical feel. It was also deserted...

Not a soul about...


We decided to have a hot chocolate in Ca'n Butxaca, which is right on the square. People were dropping in for coffee and hot chocolate, and there was a lovely atmosphere. This little shopping trip was, for me, the highlight of the holiday.




Back at the hotel, Keith and I decided to have a drink in our room before going out. Sophie and I had booked a table in U Placa for 8pm, and I was looking forward to trying somewhere new. Before coming out we'd worried about which restaurant to choose for a meal, but the reality was that hardly anywhere was open. Respira was closed this evening, and that was going to be the choice for tonight so we were glad U Placa was open!

Keith and I went along to the restaurant and we were seated upstairs. Keith ordered a Gin and Tonic while I had my favourite, Campari and lemonade.




Sophie and Zain soon arrived and we had a good look at the menu. Our waiter was great and very friendly and helpful. Sophie and I shared a starter of chicken croquettes, and then a mixed paella, Keith opted for Padron peppers followed by a chicken curry, and Zain contented himself with the bread and olives to start followed by seafood tagliatelle.

Mixed Paella


Three British men came to sit at the table behind us, and seemed determined to have as good a time as possible, with one telling naughty stories that raised our eyebrows and prompted an apology from him... we didn't mind though, as the atmosphere was so good!

Sophie and Zain shared a dessert of apple tart and ice cream and I had chocolate cake, which I thought was going to be a chocolate tart. The food was very good and the restaurant is definitely one we'll return to when we come back to Pollenca!

With a lovely bottle of red wine, drinks beforehand and liqueurs of Drambuie and Limoncello afterwards, the bill came to about 170 euros.




We had an eerie walk back to the hotel along dark and deserted streets and I kept expecting to see that little figure in red dart around the corner!

No comments: