Wednesday 1 September 2021

Righting a wrong...

This unending grey weather is now starting to really get to us, and there's no sign of it ending any time soon. I think we have high pressure over us, but there's no wind, so the grey, lumpy cloud just stays. It's depressing!

Keith and I had to go and get some new paint this morning, as the pot I'd had made up the other week was emulsion, and therefore not suitable for doors. I could have kicked myself for not noticing earlier, but we can use it in Mike's room, perhaps, as the feature wall! 

We called into Waitrose first as I thought a coffee and bacon roll would be a good idea. The place was packed with ladies of a certain age, and Keith went to find a table while I queued up. Although the cafe had been tarted up, it was still basically the same. I picked out two bacon rolls from the chilled cabinet but when I looked at them, and the price, I felt they were a bit of a rip-off! £3.05 for what was an anaemic roll with no doubt a thin sliver of bacon inside. I put them back, called Keith, and we went to Costa instead. The prices were comparable, but the quality looked a lot better! And I love their Flat White!

At B&Q we headed for the paint mixing service, and although it was a different paint brand - Valspar - the process was the same. We opted for the Satinwood in a more durable finish, and the colour was identical to our cupboards! Whilst in the store we looked for bar stools for Keith, as he feels left out when we're sitting at the island, but they didn't have any he liked. He wanted one that he could tuck under the overhang to keep it out of the way.

After paying, we crossed the road and went to Dunelm where Keith found the perfect seat - an adjustable bar stool in a dark grey cord that was only about £40! After a quick jaunt into Pets At Home to see if they had any bird tables (to thwart Mr Rat) we made one last stop at Homesense to look for pretty storage jars.

By now, although cloudy and dull, it was warm and I was wearing the wrong top so I felt a bit uncomfortable! We left Homesense, and Keith suggested a drink in the pub before going home. Now we don't have to pick up Mike in the afternoon, we can do what we like! Oh, the freedom!

We stayed for two drinks and chatted to Ian about Dave's funeral next Thursday. Everybody will go back to the pub after the service in Kingsthorpe where Dave will be buried, and we chatted about what he would have liked for food - sausage sandwiches, apparently!

Back home I tidied up, made up our bed that I had changed this morning, and generally mooched about. Halfway through the afternoon, I saw Sarah with a tree surgeon, so it looks like something may happen, although she didn't message me to say she was coming. 

In the evening I did most of the cooking - a savoury mince crumble served with veggies. The weather, if anything, became worse and it felt very Autumnal!

No comments: