Saturday 11 September 2021

Return of the sun.

The weather today has seen a return of the sun and warmer temperatures, and it was perfect for drying our laundry out on the line. Lovely!

Sophie was going by train to Milton Keynes to have lunch and cocktails with her two friends from work, so we dropped her at the station at midday. We had planned on going for a mooch into Oxfordshire, but it would have been too late to start, so we've postponed the trip until tomorrow when Sophie can come with us.

It took us longer to get out of Northampton town than it did for Sophie to get to Milton Keynes, as the traffic was horrendous, and we became embroiled in a traffic jam! Once through the town we drove over to Kettering to pick up two new window handles I'd ordered yesterday from Screwfix. The ones we have now are bronze, but I had ordered two in polished chrome which should match the handle on our new window. I just then need to order some pewter door handles for the cupboard door under the stairs, and one for the door going into the lounge. They will then match the cupboard handles, and I will be very pleased!

As soon as we arrived home Keith sorted out the new handles. He had to cut the spindle with a hacksaw, which was hard work, and I helped by holding it steady. When they were done, they looked fabulous, and even like new windows!

After lunch, I pottered about and planted the bulbs in the garden, putting the daffodils into the border in the corner, and the rest of the bulbs - Anemones, Alliums and Dwarf Irises - into some empty pots. I took pics to remind myself! March is a long way away!

Keith was glued to the television watching the football, so I went upstairs to watch the box in our bedroom. I discovered a new programme called Bang on Budget and it featured several kitchens. I love seeing what other people have done with their kitchens now, so I was hooked! Sophie texted me to say they were having one more drink and then leaving and would be getting in at about 7pm, which was great and a bit earlier than I had expected.

I duly left the house to go and get her and texted her to say I was leaving. When I didn't get a reply I had a sneaking feeling that they wouldn't get the train at the time they said, and would be later... and I was proved right! They missed the train which meant I had almost an hour to kill waiting at the station, and I wasn't very happy! When my daughter got into the car the alcohol fumes almost knocked me out. Hmmm! A few cross words were exchanged between us on the way home, and Keith handed me a large G&T when I walked through the door! I needed it!

After dinner (and Sophie ate some to soak up the alcohol), she disappeared upstairs, and Keith and I watched the US Womens' Final from New York where our very own Emma Raducanu was playing Leylah Fernandez. We had thought that it was only being shown on Amazon Prime, but we were able to watch on Channel 4. After the first set, Keith went to bed as he said he didn't want to jinx the game - Raducanu was one set up - and Sophie came down to say goodnight. She was in a better mood, and she watched the rest of the brilliant game with me. When Emma Raducanu won, we were elated!

No comments: