Thursday 2 September 2021

Catching up

Keith did the shopping at a more reasonable time this morning, leaving me to do some housework. I was having lunch with my friend Lynda today, and she wanted to come and see the kitchen before we went out. I had suggested Manvell Farm tearoom, but despite calling them several times over the course of the morning, I couldn't get hold of them.

Lynda arrived just as I'd got out of the shower, and after admiring the room, we left for the short journey to Manvell Farm tearoom. I was hoping it wouldn't be busy, and I was pleasantly surprised to find just a few people occupying the tables.

We sat in the airy conservatory part of the building, overlooking the fields. Lynda chose a hearty sandwich while I opted for a generous bacon, chicken and avocado salad, served with croutons. The food was delicious. We found room for a slice of Bakewell tart afterwards to go with the rest of our pot of tea.

It was great to catch up with Lynda and talk about what we'd both been up to since we'd seen each other last. She dropped me home and I mooched about for the rest of the afternoon, managing to have a nap before Sophie came home! Very lazy, but who cares!

Before we cooked dinner this evening, all three of us sat at the island and Keith and I played cards. Keith loves his new bar stool and it's great that it tucks away neatly under the island. We had already done a lot of preparation for tonight's meal - pork and noodles with a peanut sauce - and after Keith had beaten me at cards we stir-fried a load of veggies and cooked the noodles. The induction hob didn't like our wok so we had to resort to cooking everything in our large frying pan. We're still learning!

After dinner, we watched the much-anticipated new episode of Grand Designs that I'd recorded last night. I absolutely love this programme and I think I've watched every episode ever made. Tonight, it featured a huge house in Devon, built by a local entrepreneur, which dragged on for four years. He just threw money at it and seemed quite detached emotionally from the whole process, which is unusual for the series. When it was finished it looked more like a museum or art gallery than a family home!


No comments: