Monday 13 September 2021

Pastures new...

The morning was spent doing housework, and I gave the bathroom a thorough clean which pleased me as I'd been putting it off for a while. I hate cleaning bathrooms! 

Outside the weather was dry, with a mix of sunshine and clouds so I was able to get a wash out on the line. How much longer I wonder? There is a real Autumnal feel now, and I can't believe that September is almost half over! I don't think we've had much of a summer this year, and August, particularly, was a real disappointment as it was so cloudy.

At lunchtime, Sophie and I drove over to Elliott's Fields, an out-of-town shopping centre in Rugby. Keith and I had seen it on our way home from Stratford-upon-Avon a few weeks ago and I'd spotted a Homesense. There was also M&S, Next, New Look and a defunct Debenhams.

We parked easily in the huge car park and headed to M&S for lunch. Although the cafe was quiet, we waited for ages in the queue! I chose a chicken salad with edamame beans, tomatoes, cucumber and lots of lettuce while Sophie went for a jacket potato with cheese and beans. 

After we'd eaten we wandered about in the store before heading next door to Homesense. I was hoping to get some things for the kitchen, but all I picked out was a new apron! Amazingly, we met Judy who is married to Keith's old boss from Black and Decker, and we had a long chat. She lives in Brixworth and is 80 this year, but looked at least 15 years younger!

We wandered around Next and I looked at the homewares, but I don't think either of us were really into it. I had thought there was another home store in the retail park, but there wasn't, so we decided to drive home via the A5 rather than the M6 and A14.

The A5 took us through a large flat plain that used to have loads of radio masts years ago. They have all been demolished, but I remember the area was quite eerie with all the towering masts lit up in the darkness. Now, the land has been given over to huge warehouses, and the roads were full of lorries.

We turned off the A5 and headed towards Crick and West Haddon, before eventually arriving in Brixworth. We were in the mood for tea and cake, and decided to go to The Workhouse, opposite the row of shops in the village. There were so many cakes to choose from (too many, in my opinion) and we decided on two traybakes, both of which were overwhelmingly sweet. Sophie couldn't manage all of hers and took it home! This was my second visit to this cafe and I have a feeling it may well be my last!

The evening was spent playing Scrabble, enjoying a drink and watching Keith cook dinner. The heavy cloud hadn't lifted much all afternoon and rain is forecast for tomorrow. We are planning on going to Olney but we may have to change our plans!


No comments: