Sunday 26 September 2021

Don't panic!

Keith and I went out first thing this morning to see if we could find a garage that was open so we could get some diesel. I had a quarter of a tank and, although I could probably get to Milton Keynes with that, it would have left me almost empty.

Both the Tesco and the Morrison's garages were closed, so we made one last attempt by going to Asda in Kettering. Thankfully, this was open, there was diesel, and the queue was manageable. I recognised the woman taking payments, and we both realised we knew each other from the nursery I used to run with my parents!

Back home we spent the morning doing housework, Keith emptied the fridge freezer in readiness for the painter coming tomorrow, and I did several loads of washing. It's amazing how it builds up after just one day of not doing any! As it had turned into a beautiful morning, I was able to get it all on the line so it smelt lovely!

Sophie kept me in touch with what she was doing and said she would be arriving in Milton Keynes at about 3pm. She was getting the train from Barking station where Zain had dropped her off. She'd had a great weekend and had enjoyed the boxing match despite Anthony Joshua losing!

Keith and I gave ourselves plenty of time to get to Milton Keynes. We saw two garages on the way and both of them were rammed with cars queuing to get fuel. It's madness. We took the scenic route and drove through Roade, and it seemed a much better way to go as the station is near the A5.

After a short wait, Sophie emerged into the sunlight and we returned home. The queues at one of the garages were even worse and the line stretched all the way onto the dual carriageway! I just hope Sophie can get some petrol in the next couple of days as there's now the danger of the garages running out completely.

Before going home we called into the Subway on Brackmills and treated ourselves to a wrap. I was feeling very peckish and it was just what I fancied! We also bought a couple of cookies and enjoyed them at home with a drink.

The evening was spent playing Scrabble (I beat Sophie for once!) and then cards. Dinner tonight was roast beef and this was the first time we'd cooked a joint in the new oven. Keith made Yorkshire puddings and they were perfect - beautifully risen and crispy. The new oven seems to cook food much better than our previous old one and the meal was delicious, despite Keith having a bit of a stress! Calm down!


No comments: