Monday 6 September 2021

Trying to get things done!

I had arranged to meet Mum and Dad at 10am this morning to take them to the Weston Favell Centre. The plan was to go to Nationwide and sort out why Mum hadn't received a card yet. 

Getting my Dad in the car was a lot easier than I had imagined, so that was a bonus. We managed to park in a very tight disabled space, and then it was time for a coffee in The Lounge where they used to go twice or three times a week.

My parents love the Weston Favell Centre for reasons that are beyond me, but I suppose they used to meet friends there and sit and have a coffee, and it has been a part of our lives for decades. When we had the business we used to visit daily! We sat and enjoyed a coffee, and started talking to the man at the next table who remembered how it used to be, the same as we did! 

In Nationwide we were taken to the office at the back and saw a lady who tried to find out where Mum's card was. Of course, we had the old rigmarole about identification (I wished I'd had Mum's passport with me) but the manager intervened and said he would try and sort it out.

From there we popped into Tesco to do some shopping, and we bought Dad a pair of new trainers and some casual trousers. We then had a hunt for curlers before giving up and having lunch in Jenny's. My parents chose a cheeseburger each, and my Dad demolished his, but Mum ate a quarter of her meal, asking for it to be boxed up and taken back with her. I had a limp tuna and sweetcorn sandwich on tasteless white bread, so I was not impressed!

After I dropped my parents back, I went home to sit in the garden with Keith. By now it was very warm with the temperature about 27c. It was peaceful and lovely - the schools weren't out yet!

In the evening we all sat at the island and Keith and I played cards, but his heart really wasn't in it. He cooked beef stroganoff for dinner and Sophie prepared garlic bread. The nights really are getting darker now, and it was properly night by about 8.30pm. We watched a very interesting documentary on Osama Bin Laden (the 20th anniversary of 9/11 is coming up if you hadn't realised!) and we all tried to make sense of the different organisations and political history. It was very confusing!

No comments: