Sunday 14 June 2015

Thwarted plans...

Today we'd planned on going to the South coast for the day, either Eastbourne or Brighton, but on waking this morning and having a look at the weather forecast, we decided to abandon our plans. The only area of the UK that was due some sunshine was the west and neither of us fancied going there as anywhere decent would have been too far away.

We let the kids stay in bed and went to get the Sunday papers and some sausages for a breakfast treat. The grey gloom of yesterday was still with us but the rain had stopped, which was something, I suppose!

Sophie and I decided to go to a rustic garden centre in Leicestershire at lunchtime and on the way I filled the car with diesel in Market Harborough and then programmed Gladys to take us to the village of Cotesbach, about half an hour away.

I vaguely knew the way but our SatNav wanted me to head back towards Northampton for some reason! I ignored her and for most of our drive on the A4304 towards Lutterworth she kept shrieking at me to go back. In the end I was forced to turn her off as when we got to the M1 she told me get on it and head south even though the village was about two miles away, on the other side of the motorway!

The car park was busy when we arrived and we had a quick look at all the garden ornaments first. The barn (it's called Garden Barn) was packed with trinkets, pots, little statues and witty signs and general tat, but it was very expensive (compared with Beckworth). I saw some garden lights for £42! There were only ten of them!

I was on the lookout for some metal boxes to fill with plants and attach to the wall in our gravel garden as the two we used to have there were old wine boxes and had rotted away. However, there was nothing at all that I liked so we decided to have a cup of tea and sit in the pleasant garden area. Two teas and two slices of cake were just under a tenner (gulp!) but at least we were able to soak up a tiny bit of sunshine for a little while even though it did cloud over again.

We had another look around the garden area but still nothing appealed so we got back into the car and decided to call into the much bigger and more commerical garden centre in Harlestone on the way home. I bought some little garden lights for a much more reasonable £10 and a little plaque for Maureen at work.

The weather had turned grey and horrible again so it was home to relax, look forward to steak pie for dinner and watch the first episode of Humans!


No comments: