Friday 12 June 2015

The Prosecco girls!

Today was due to be thundery and we had weather warnings again for heavy downpours of rain. The last day of the working week started off sunny and dry but by lunchtime the clouds had started to gather and it felt muggy and warm.

Mum and I went off to Jones's mid-morning and when we arrived back at work at lunchtime, we had very few customers in. As we had almost nothing to do we decided to call it a day and go home. Luckily we had parties in the evening but there were staff due to come in and cover.

I wasn't sure how I felt about going home, to be honest. I always feel a bit guilty, but I drove home anyway and had lunch before Sophie and I went to the M&S store in Kettering to take back a pair of jeans I'd bought the previous week. By now the sky was very overcast and grey and the weather matched my mood!

It took us ages to get into Kettering because of roadworks and then I discovered I hadn't got any change for parking so I asked Sophie to run in for me while I sat in the car park. Once that was all done, we drove to Beckworth Emporium for a drink and some ice-cream. As we sat and enjoyed our treat, it started to rain and huge drops fell on our heads! There must have been a gap in the glass roof!

We mooched about looking at plants and I bought three for some pots that were empty. By the time we left it was pouring with rain and really horrible so we splashed off home and I managed to get them planted in between the showers.

In the evening my friends Lynda, Fiona and Andrea were due around for an aperitif before we walked up to the village for a meal at the pub. I'd bought a magnum of Prosecco in Booker yesterday and it had been chilling nicely in the fridge. I'd also bought some olives and crisps which Sophie arranged for me in the conservatory while I had a shower. She also did my hair and make-up for me and made the conservatory very pretty with candles. She's a real treasure!

The girls arrived and we got stuck into the Prosecco and nibbles and had a great chat as it had been a while since we'd all seen each other. Unfortunately the weather worsened as we sat and chatted and Keith had to give us a lift up to the pub...it was a good job he hadn't had a couple of pints himself!

The White Horse was packed with people drinking at the bar but luckily we were seated straight away and the girls wanted another bottle of Prosecco...at £20! It took us ages to make our menu choices as we were all still chatting away but three of us went for the Scotch Egg starter while Lynda opted for the crab and crayfish Tower. I chose fish and chips for my main course, while the others all went for the Pork Belly and they said it was delicious! I couldn't finish my main course as I was full of bubbly Prosecco but I did manage to squeeze in a dessert of Key Lime Pie while Lynda and Andrea shared a cheese board and Fiona had rhubarb crumble and custard.

With another bottle of Prosecco and two glasses of Port the bill came to a reasonable £133 and I called upon my husband to take us home as it was still raining. While we waited for Fiona's husband to come and collect the girls I served coffee in the conservatory and when my friends had departed Keith and I watched an episode of The Affair. A perfect end to a lovely evening!

No comments: