Saturday 6 June 2015

Taming the garden!

Keith and I both awoke at 6am this morning and after a couple of hours spent drinking coffee and watching Downton Abbey (my latest craze, albeit very late!) we set to work in the garden.

We started at the far end of our gravel garden and I raked up lots of dead leaves that had gathered around several plants and along the wall. Slasher Keith attacked the ivy and a couple of other bushes that had grown madly and left all the mess for me to clear up, not an easy task when the ground was gravelly!

We worked our way towards the conservatory doors and I was horrified to see how dirty the windowsills and windows were. I can't remember the last time we gave the conservatory a good clean!

I ended up picking up cut down leaves by hand as Slasher Keith carried on his destruction into the main garden, hacking away at the overhanging trees and bushes and then decimating the ivy in the side borders.

I disturbed Monty's peaceful snooze by getting the hoover and vacuuming up all the cobwebs and tiny leaves that had settled on the conservatory windowsills. This is a far more effective method of cleaning that trying to wipe them all away!

Keith had a break when he drove Mike over to Brixworth but I carried on cleaning up the mess and managed to damage one of my nails in the process, which was very painful!

By lunchtime the garden was looking so much better and I mowed the lawn and carried on cleaning the conservatory while a sleepy Sophie appeared, took one look at us working hard and went to have another lie-down!

We both finally finished at about 4pm and I went to have a sit in the "lurrve" seat in the gravel garden with Monty who kept miaowing at me, but when I picked him up, wanted to get down...bloomin' cat!

With all the bushes and trees in their summer finery, it was very peaceful and secluded down there and I really think we should try and sit down there more often this summer.

Keith and I managed to relax for a while before we had a bath and went to pick Mike up from Brixworth. We'd ordered two Papa John's pizzas (I bribed my son with one if he didn't go to an all-night party...) so we called for him first and then drove to Kingsthorpe to collect them. I always think of the time in Florida when we'd decided to have a pizza but we hadn't ordered them beforehand, thus sending the staff there into a complete panic!

Back home it was time for dinner and then a couple of episodes of a new series called The Glades before I collapsed into bed! I was shattered!




No comments: