Wednesday 17 June 2015

An encounter with dinosaurs...

Keith came into work with me this morning and cut the grass. I went out to help him sweep up and twisted my left ankle really badly, breaking a strap of my sandal in the process. At first I thought I'd got away with it, but later in the afternoon it was really painful to walk on it, which was a nuisance!

We also had Mikey in at work with us as he'd been sent home from school with his back again. He and Keith had lunch at work then they went home as there was no point in having Mike hanging around the office being bored.

Sophie and I went out and I bought another pair of shoes to wear for work and then we went home at 3pm as we had a big night out in front of us! We were off to Cineworld in Milton Keynes to see Jurassic World in 3D, but also in their 4DX cinema where the seats move and you get all kinds of special effects!

As my ankle was now very painful indeed, Keith offered to drive and we left home just before 4pm, battling our way through the already heavy traffic to get onto the M1. Luckily we had a smooth journey on the motorway and arrived at the huge Xscape complex with lots of time to spare. We chose a lovely little cafe for refreshments before we collected our tickets, bought our 3D glasses and took our seats in the 4DX cinema.

The seats were very comfortable, with foot rests and a button in the arm rest that turned off the water if you wanted! After the usual trailers and adverts, we were treated to a trailer in 4DX and experienced the new seats for the first time! You're literally thrown about in them (in tune with whatever's going on on the screen), have water sprayed at you, puffs of air shot at your ears and weird things happening to your feet!

We all thought Jurassic World was brilliant. It carries on from the original and the whole island is now a theme park with real dinosaurs roaming about. With the interactive seats it felt like we were flying over the island and when there was windy conditions on the screen, we also felt a wind blowing over us! There were quite a few shocks, surprises and downright scary moments and I enjoyed the whole experience immensely! I can't wait to go again!

After the film we walked (well, I limped) over to Bella Italia in the theatre district for dinner. The restaurant was virtually empty which was a bit of a shock and we sat near an open door as the evening was muggy. I have to say I wasn't impressed with my meal at all, which was a shame as I'd really been looking forward to eating there again. Sophie and I shared a garlic and mozzarella flatbread that I thought had no taste, plus some olives to go with it. Keith had chicken wings while Mike went for Italian style meatballs in a tomato sauce.

After all the traumas on screen I chose a Vodka and Lemonade to steady my nerves (!)  but that was very disappointing as well...I couldn't even taste the spirit and did wonder whether they'd put any in! Sophie and I had the same main course, my favourite dish, which was breaded chicken served with green beans and spaghetti, but again the whole meal was tasteless and my chicken was over-cooked and dry.

We skipped desserts and paid the bill, emerging into a grey and gloomy dusk to find it had been raining while we'd been eating. It carried on raining on the way home and we marvelled at the huge storm clouds that had built up while we'd been inside. At least I didn't have to water the garden before I went to bed!

No comments: