Thursday 25 December 2014

Christmas Day

I was up at about 8am this morning and looked forward to seeing my family open their presents, even though it took some persuading to get them out of bed!

The children were really pleased with their gifts, but unfortunately, Keith didn't like the jacket that Sophie and I had spent ages looking for...I was a bit upset, to be honest, but we agreed to take it back to M&S and buy him what he wanted. After all these years I still find it very difficult to buy for him and next year I've resolved to just give him the money and he can go and buy something he wants!

Mikey disappeared upstairs and then came back down to say that his Play Station 4 wasn't working, which was wonderful as we'd bought him two new games... To cut a very long and tedious story short, we discovered it was his TV, after trying it on the living room television and our bedroom TV. When we pulled the furniture out to connect all the wires, I nearly died of shock when I saw the dust! This meant that instead of preparing for my parents coming around later in the day I was hoovering and cleaning behind the chest of drawers in our bedroom! Luckily, for some reason, we managed to get the TV working so Mikey was extremely happy! Later we heard that they'd been a problem with the Play Station network so that might have been the cause.

I took Keith to the pub and while he was gone I made a loaf of bread and started to set the table in the conservatory. I collected Keith who was walking down the village street as he guessed I wouldn't want to come into the pub...and he was right as I resembled a bag lady!

Back at home I cleaned downstairs, finished setting the table and peeled the potatoes as Keith had done the rest of the veg in the morning. We put the turkey in at 3pm and then I sat down to relax and play with my Tesco Hudl that Keith had bought me.

My parents arrived at 5pm and by then I'd had a bath, washed my hair, put some make-up on and dressed in a pair of black trousers and a pretty top, so I was feeling a bit better! Unfortunately my Dad upset me slightly when he came in and I warned him not to wind me up - I hadn't had the best of days!

Before the meal we opened our presents to one another and Sophie and I were delighted to be given tickets to see Ben Howard again in Birmingham, in April! Woohoo!

We had a lovely meal and it all went very well, which was a relief after the disasters of the day. We ate our starters at 6pm (pate or prawn cocktail) and then had the main event at about 7.30pm. We decided not to go with the mashed potatoes or the Yorkshire puddings as we felt there was more than enough food on the table and after Sophie and I had cleared away, we all sat in the living room and played Devilish Dilemmas, which got us all laughing and enjoying ourselves.

The evening was rounded off with either chocolate gateau or Christmas Pud accompanied by a sweet Greek wine and then at 10.30pm my parents departed into the night and I collapsed in a heap on the sofa!

No comments: