Saturday 8 November 2014

Special Birthday celebrations!

Today has been one of the days when I felt like doing very little - the weather has been horrible and I was just content to research my family tree in the warm!

Sophie moaned about wanting to go somewhere, though, so to appease her slightly, we went off to Tesco in the afternoon to get some things I needed and I treated her to a Costa Coffee while we were there. They have their new range of Christmas drinks and snacks available now but we managed to resist the gorgeous chocolaty beverages on offer and stuck with our normal choices. We did share a chocolate twist, though! I bought a bottle of sparkling wine for Mum as we're all out tonight for a meal to celebrate her 70th Birthday and I'd invited them around for a drink first.

Back home I had a short time to relax before Sophie and I went to pick up Mikey from his friend's house in Kingsthorpe. He was waiting for us outside the house and looked very tired. He said he'd had a great time but had stayed up very late on Friday night so no wonder he looked shattered! When he got home he had a shower and then fell asleep on our bed!

Mum and Dad came around at 7pm and we had a drink in the conservatory. My Mum is actually 70 tomorrow and I can't believe it! She doesn't look her age!

We had a great meal at The Swan at Lamport and Mum and Dad's friends Garry and Gloria also came to celebrate. We sat by the fire with a drink before sitting down and chose from the extensive menu. I decided to have a stuffed pepper to start, which on reflection, was a mistake. The cheesy filling was tasty but the pepper itself was barely cooked and the appearance let it down as it looked like somebody had vomited into the green vegetable!

My main course of crispy calves liver was much better and it came served with green beans and mashed potato. I even managed to find room for a chocolate torte for dessert! Everyone else enjoyed their meals and it was great to sit in a group and have a good chat. Dad had ordered some flowers for Mum and these were on the table, much to the envy of the other diners, apparently!

It seems incredible that my Mum and Gloria celebrated their 40th Birthdays together thirty years ago and I was younger than Sophie is now! Where have all the years gone?

No comments: