Friday 14 November 2014

An evening in the Florida Keys!

I went into work as usual this morning and then I left at 10am to go home and get ready for hosting the Come Dine With Me evening. My theme was "An Evening in the Keys" and I was looking forward to having a fun night with my good friends.

I had a bit of a shock when I arrived home to find we'd had a power cut...Keith said they'd been trying to get it going again as the electricity kept flicking on and off. I tried to keep calm and not think about the consequences of having no power for most of the day!

Luckily, within half an hour the electricity was restored and I could get down to preparing for the evening ahead. I made the base for my Key Lime Pie and marinated my chicken breasts with the Jerk paste. Keith took Sophie into work as she was needed over lunchtime while I cleaned the conservatory and set the table.

When the base of the pie had cooled I made the filling and put it in the oven while I prepared my veggies and prepped as much as I could to save time later. I didn't have the luxury of being able to cook the dishes in advance and both my starter and my main course had to be cooked while my guests were sitting waiting! Not something I like to do!

Sophie finished work at 2pm so we collected her and then went home to have a welcome cup of tea and a biscuit...the ultimate comfort food for me!

By 5pm the house was looking lovely so I went and had a bath and then put the finishing touches to my preparations. Sophie did my make-up and hair and then it was down to prepare the Mojitos and light the candles.

My guests arrived within minutes of each other and looked fabulous! Andrea had a dolphin head on while Fiona came as Don Johnson from Miami Vice! Lynda wore a summer dress along with a straw hat and huge sunglasses! I was rather more refined with a pair of white trousers and a floaty top, the same outfit I'd worn several times on holiday!





I finished making the drinks and we were soon sipping the rather strong cocktails! Keith had walked up to the pub for a drink and he arrived home just as I was shallow frying the crispy coconut prawns. I served them with rocket leaves and a chilli dip and they were delicious, thank goodness!

As we ate our starters I put the chicken in the oven to cook, with the mushrooms and Chantenay carrots following soon after. I couldn't really sit and chat to my friends as I was in and out of the kitchen checking on the food and then making the sauce for the pasta. I was delighted with the results and Sophie managed to cadge a bowl of the pasta, saying it was better than the first time I'd made it. The dish was creamy but had a lot of heat from the Jerk paste!

Before dessert we played "Pop-up Pirate", a game where a plastic pirate sits in a barrel and we each took it in turns to insert a sword into holes in the barrel. One sword triggers the pirate to pop out of the barrel which was great! Of course, the Florida Keys had their fair share of pirates so I thought it was very apt!

My Key Lime pie went down very well and after polishing most of it off (the kids had a slice each as well) I made coffee and we sat and relaxed. Sophie was an absolute treasure and did all the washing up and clearing away for me. I couldn't have done it without her help, bless her!

It was a great evening and the girls left at about midnight. Next up is Fiona's evening where we have to dress up as Disney Princesses!

No comments: