Sunday 9 November 2014

Posh afternoon tea!

This morning we all went to Pitsford village as Mikey was taking part in the Remembrance parade there, representing the Army Cadets. The weather was exactly the same as last year - blue skies, slightly chilly and lots of sunshine.

We all met at the flag pole in the centre of the village where the various groups taking part hoisted their particular flags and the Last Post was played (always moves me to tears). We then all walked to the church where wreaths were laid at the War Memorial and a two minute silence held.

After the commemoration at the Memorial we all trooped inside the church for the Remembrance Service which lasted about an hour. In front of us a couple had a little girl of about three who did not want to sit still! I have to admit to finding the service a bit boring in parts so I could sympathise, but was it really the place to bring a child as young as that? She obviously couldn't understand the significance of the day and in the end, her father was forced to take her outside as she really was spoiling it for everyone who was seated near her.

After the service we sped home and I had a quick bite to eat before hoovering the house. The carpet resembled a field and I'm sure most if it is brought in on the cats' feet! Mikey went off to Brixworth to see his friend and at 2pm Sophie and I went around to Mum's house to give her our presents and to whisk her off for afternoon tea at Fawsley Hall, near Daventry.

Mum was delighted with her gifts - a John Lewis voucher from Keith and I, and a necklace and photograph frame from the children. I'd printed off two pictures of the children and she was thrilled as she was going to ask me to get her up-to-date photos of the children for Christmas!

We went off to Weedon first for a mooch about the shops and I bought a little toy reindeer to go on our tree - I couldn't resist! I also bought some gift tags and some little silver, glittery tea-lights for the table on Christmas Day. This year I really am starting early! We also spotted some gorgeous decorations in the Cookshop there but this time I did manage to resist! Perhaps closer to Christmas!

We left Weedon at about 3.30pm and headed to Fawsley Hall. The road is very narrow and hilly but the views are beautiful. The last time we were here Sophie took some stunning photos of the lake and the trees and in fact, my current header photo was taken in the grounds.

We drew up in front of the gorgeous building, some parts of which date from the Tudor age (Queen Elizabeth I stayed here in 1575), and went into the Reception area where we were greeted by the very friendly staff. We took our afternoon tea in a high-ceilinged room overlooking the grounds and the nearby church. I have to admit to being slightly disappointed in this as I was looking forward to sitting in a cosy lounge with a log fire (or two) in a much older part of the hotel. On the way through the building we'd peeked at the restaurant which was situated in the oldest part and was absolutely gorgeous...I want to come back for dinner one winter's evening!

However, the slight disappointment was made up by the selection of sandwiches, scones and cakes on offer and the limitless pot of tea. We had cucumber, ham, egg mayonnaise and smoked salmon sarnies, followed by scones with clotted cream and jam and then a range of small "fancies" one of which looked like a fried egg and was delicious!

We left at 5pm, stuffed to the gunnels with tea and cakes and had another leisurely walk through the restaurant and lounge bars. We also had a quick look in the Great Hall where people were sitting over cups of tea and reading the Sunday papers...how lovely!

Outside it was just getting dark and all the mullioned windows were lit. The building looked ravishing! We drove the fairly long distance home in the dark, chatting about our day and I think my Mum had a fabulous Birthday!

No comments: