Saturday 29 November 2014

Homeward bound...

I was worried about getting to the airport this morning as we were relying on public transport and I was anxious about getting there in good time. I didn't want to miss our flight!

I needn't have worried as we were up at 6am, in the hotel dining room for breakfast at 6.45am and on the train to Potsdamer Platz by 7.15am. When we arrived at Potsdamer Platz we had a brief panic as we couldn't find the entrance to the underground but then we spotted a lift straight to the U2 line so within ten minutes we were on our way to Alexanderplatz. We knew we had to get to the station by 8.15am to catch the Airport Express as the next one wasn't until almost 9am and I wanted to be at the airport by then.

As it was a Saturday morning the trains were very quiet and we had a great journey to the airport. Walking the short distance from the station to the airport was freezing and it felt like the wind was coming straight from Siberia! The maximum temperature was 0c today and it certainly felt like it!

At Schonefeld we charged through security with no problems and entered the departure "lounge" via the Duty Free shop...very cunning! Miraculously, I managed to find a seat while Sophie went off and bought herself some perfume. I had a look around but couldn't justify spending money on things I didn't need so I saved my euros instead. I did buy Mikey a Toblerone and Keith a woolly hat so I did spend a few cents!

By the time I'd finished looking around Duty Free it was time to go to the gate and I was astonished to discover we had Speedy Boarding. There was one couple ahead of us so it was great to get onto the plane without any mad dashing!

The flight was one of the best I've ever had with easyJet as we had lots of empty seats in front of us and as before, we hardly seemed to be up in the air before it was time to descend.

Keith was waiting for us in Arrivals and very soon we were out of the car park and heading home. There were still roadworks going on so we had to divert through Luton town and joined the M1 a bit further up the motorway. I was happy to see that it was a gorgeous day with blue skies and sunshine so that was a bonus!

I spent the afternoon unpacking and doing some washing and Gerry, our boiler man, arrived to look at our central heating system that had malfunctioned badly while I was away. It looks like we'll need a new boiler, something we definitely didn't need this close to Christmas!

In the evening I had a lovely warm bath and got ready for Fiona's Come Dine With Me evening. I really should have had a nap in the afternoon but never found the time so I was one tired bunny! I wore Keith's grey, furry onesie with my rabbit ears and huge fluffy slippers. Sophie did my make-up and drew whiskers on my face and a black nose!




The clear blue skies had turned foggy so it was cautious trip into town to Fiona's house. Andrea had chosen to go as Snow White, Lynda was Fiona from Shrek (and therefore not technically a Disney character!) while our hostess, Fiona, was one of the Frozen sisters. Everyone looked great!

We had a lovely meal, but I have to confess to being so shattered by my journey and the last couple of days in Berlin, that I really didn't enjoy it as much as I should have done. By 11pm I was almost asleep so I called Keith and he came to collect me. We drove home in the foggy gloom and it was such a relief to finally sink into my lovely bed!

No comments: