Saturday 20 September 2014

Key West memories...

This morning, before Sophie and I went to get our hair cut, I started making a Key Lime pie. For my Come Dine With Me evening I'm going to do a Florida Keys theme and I wanted to make the famous dessert for pud.

Tesco now do a range of American foods and I was able to buy Graham Crackers to make the base. I weighed them out, beat the living daylights out of them and then mixed them with melted butter before pressing them into a flan case.

I then baked it in the oven for ten minutes before letting it cool while we went to the Hairdresser's. My hair was very badly in need of a cut and it felt great to have my long and unruly fringe neatened up! Now I can see again!

When we got home, Sophie went off to get ready to go shopping in Market Harborough while I whipped up three eggs, the juice and zest of three limes and a tin of condensed milk. I then poured the mixture onto the flan base and popped it back into the oven for fifteen minutes.

Just before we left to go shopping I put the baked pie into the fridge to chill and hoped it would taste good! We had a pleasant afternoon shopping in Market Harborough (or Mo'ket Harborough!) culminating in a tasting of Portugese wines in Duncan's shop. The man himself was off in Sicily so we chatted to Nick about holidays and I treated myself to a bottle of the white and a French red. Our wine rack is looking a bit depleted again, despite the bottles we bought back from the US!

In the evening we ordered a Chinese takeaway but then went to the White Horse in Old for a drink. We sat in the window and watched the smoke from a nearby bonfire fill the already grey sky. It's been a bit dismal today with no sign of the sun at all and the smell of the fire made it seem very Autumnal.

We weren't the only escapees from our normal pub: we saw three couples arrive who are die-hard regulars so there's obviously something wrong at our local for us all to defect to another pub...

We enjoyed our dinner and then, after a decent interval, I whipped some cream and poured it over the top of the Key Lime pie. Sophie has been arguing with me that an authentic Key Lime pie has a meringue topping but I'm not keen...for me it's far too sweet. However, we all thoroughly enjoyed my attempt, even Mikey who hadn't tasted it on holiday at all!


No comments: