Sunday 7 September 2014

Day of rest?

I woke up this morning thinking it was about 6am, but when I looked at the clock it was half past nine! I'd slept for a solid ten hours! Bliss!

I left Keith asleep and went downstairs to make myself a cup of coffee and with Archie, I sat and watched Neighbours for half an hour until I thought it was time to make a big breakfast with the bacon, sausages and eggs that my Mum had kindly left for us in the fridge. Keith came downstairs looking a bit dazed and confused as he'd slept for far longer than he'd intended! Just as it was all coming together, I went to wake the children but I hadn't the heart to rouse them from their slumbers so I left them in bed and Keith and I breakfasted alone.

After we'd eaten Keith showered and disappeared off to do a shop at Tesco while I tackled the ironing. Overnight, the laundry monster had been at work and when I opened our dirty linen basket I found it was full! I had three loads of washing (where did it all come from?) and a pile of ironing that would have taken an experienced mountaineer to climb!

At midday I woke the kids as I was worried that Mikey, especially, would get into a strange sleep pattern that would have him awake all night and asleep during the day...not a good thing when he's back at school tomorrow! They feasted on the breakfast food I'd left to keep warm in the oven and when Keith arrived home with the shopping I helped him unpack it all before peeling the veggies for dinner and then mowing the lawn.

I finally finished at 4pm but I was pleased we'd done everything that had to be done. My parents were due around for a drink at 5pm so I had a quick shower and made myself presentable as I would have been a good candidate for a bag lady! My feet were covered in grass stains and there was soil under my fingernails where I'd been pulling up plants that were a bit past their best!

We had a great drink with my parents and they were delighted with their pressies. It was lovely to catch up and share our holiday stories and I think I'm prepared for going back to work tomorrow!

Dinner was traditional roast beef and all the trimmings and very good it was, too!

No comments: