Friday 9 March 2012

Happy Campers!

Mum and Dad took the afternoon off work today as they were due to pick up their new caravan just after lunchtime. Neither of them have had any experience of caravanning and I was a bit worried that they'd taken on something that would, ultimately, turn out to be a mistake. Dad had taken a course in the basics last weekend but the real hurdle was getting the caravan through their gate and into their drive.

I arrived home to find my house empty and the Passat missing. As I walked through the door, my mobile rang and it was Keith asking me to go up to mum and dad's house to help. Fearing the worse (the caravan wedged against the stone wall) I drove up to find the back end jutting out into the road. I parked opposite and went to see if there was anything I could do. Keith was helping out, along with the man who owns the units across the road.

There was space either side of the caravan and Dad had fitted a self-parking device which meant that he could, using the remote control, put the caravan anywhere he wanted. We finally managed to get the thing onto the drive (I actually towed it a few inches!) and away from the road so everyone was happy.

My parents will need a few days to get to know their new toy but have decided that keeping it on the drive is not a good idea. The opening is quite narrow and they don't want all this palaver every time they bring it home! We had a look inside and it's really beautiful with a lovely bathroom and a fully fitted kitchen. The children were excited about being inside and maybe one day, when Dad gets the hang of everything, I can see them enjoying a weekend away with my parents and being very happy campers!

No comments: