Monday 2 January 2012

Turkey sandwiches and Vouvray

Today dawned beautiful and sunny, but a touch on the cold side. I didn't take this into account when we went off to Broadway in the Cotswolds for lunch and a mooch about the shops.

The temperature gauge in the car said it was about 7 degrees outside and I only had a shirt on over a pair of jeans, so when we parked the car and walked into the village I was a bit chilly! Spotting an Edinburgh Woollen Mill shop I went in and picked out a lovely purple woollen coat, reduced by half price! My old winter coat had died last year so I bought the new one, along with a lilac scarf to go with it. Keith had given me some money for Christmas so it was the ideal thing to spend the money on!

As it was lunchtime and we only had three hours in the car park, we headed to the Horse and Hound pub and managed to bag a table before the place was invaded by hordes of people. The pub was very welcoming and cosy and it was lovely to sit back and have lunch out. Mikey and I went for a steak and ale pie, Keith had battered cod while Sophie went for a chicken burger and the food was well-cooked and delicious. I even had a half pint of a Bateman's "Rosey Nosey" which was a perfect winter warmer.

We all had dessert (well, Keith had cheese and biscuits) so when we got up to walk back through the village we felt very replete! There were lots of people about, enjoying the winter sunshine and meandering past the shops. Some very posh cars were parked outside The Lygon Arms and I hope one day to stay there...one day!

We took a bit of a roundabout way to get home, ending up in a traffic jam in Stratford upon Avon and then rapidly backtracking, it was so busy. We eventually got home at almost 5pm and then it was a mad dash to tidy up the house as Sue was coming around for a glass of wine and a gossip.

We had a good natter, shared a bottle of Chilean Pinot Grigio and some nibbles and then I gave her a glass of our 11 year old Vouvray, which she loved. After she went I finished it off with a round of delicious turkey sandwiches!

Horse and Hound pub

No comments: