Thursday 12 January 2012

Decisions, decisions!

Although I'm still very busy at work I had to take the afternoon off to go to a college interview with Sophie. She has applied to do a BTEC in Beauty Therapy at college, in preparation for becoming a make-up artist, but still wasn't 100% sure it was the right decision for her.

Although I wasn't looking forward to spending two hours at the college, the afternoon turned out to be very pleasant with an interesting talk on the various courses on offer and what they could lead to afterwards. Sophie pricked her ears up at a course designed only for make-up and nails, and afterwards, speaking to one of the lecturers, she asked if she could change to that. However, the lecturer said with her expected grades at school, it would be unadvisable and that she should stick with the BTEC as it was an equivalent to an A level and would enable her to progress to University after the course finished. They offered Sophie a conditional place and we went off home to get ready for the 6th Form Open Evening which was also scheduled for today!

We went off at 5.30pm and sat through a short presentation in the school hall before having the opportunity to walk around the 6th Form block and speaking to the various teachers. I envied Sophie very much as there seems to be so many choices she can take at A level including Psychology and Photography, both of which she's interested in. I wish I could have taken them when I was at school!

On the way home she told me she wants to stay on at school to do four A levels which both Keith and I are very, very pleased about!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice one Sophie! Stay at school as long as poss because Oli missed all his friends when he left. Great social life in 6th form too but I'll say that quietly! Cheryl xx

Janie said...

My thoughts exactly, Cheryl! I loved 6th form and I remember a lot of parties as well!!!