Sunday 20 June 2010

Fathers' Day

There wasn't really much celebrating today for Keith - it seems a lot more subdued than the madness that surrounds Mothers' Day back in March. Breakfast was at MacDonalds (Keith and I had a coffee) and then we popped into Tesco to get a present as Mikey is going to a party this afternoon.

Back home, I helped Keith make another big pot of delicious tomato soup. I'd be very proud if ever we grow any of our own tomatoes and they make it into a soup! Keith and Soph also made a batch of chocolate chip cookies which were lovely.

Mum, Soph and me headed back to Beckworth Emporium in the afternoon and I was amazed at the range of plants they had for sale, a couple of which I'd never seen before so I had no choice but to buy them. One is supposed to smell like chocolate and it's certainly very pretty. Mum bought three baskets and then we meandered around the food hall where I bought a tub of almond stuffed olives for tea. We also drooled over the meat, pork pies and fresh fruit and veg. I take back what I said about the place a few months ago, but guess what I forgot? Yes! My £5 voucher!

We stopped at mum and dad's for tea and cake and I gave him his present - a bottle of Rioja Gran Reserva which he was very pleased with. It was a gorgeous afternoon - beautiful blue skies, sunshine and little white puffy clouds. However, some sort of pollen had been unleashed and it was like it was snowing! Little bits of cotton wool type things were floating everywhere and getting into our hair and mouths!

Back home Keith and I sat in the garden and enjoyed the warmth and sunshine - what a difference to yesterday! Jenny very kindly called in and offered to pick Mikey up for us from the party as her son was also there, so we moved to the conservatory for a game of cards. When Mikey got home both children joined us so we had a game with four of us which was quite difficult!

Dinner tonight was soup and rolls, followed by some lovely cheese and biscuits that I bought at Weedon yesterday. It's a Welsh cheese called Little Black Bomber and is delicious - very strong and full of flavour. I also enjoyed a spoonful of picalilli with it and of course, the olives!

Mum's garden




No comments: