Wednesday 15 May 2019

A early morning shock...

In contrast to last night, I slept very poorly and was up and downstairs at 5am. It was a good thing as my Mum phoned to say that my Dad was really ill and she wanted to return from their cruise...

Obviously this was not what I wanted to hear this morning as I had hoped they'd be having a great time and really enjoying themselves. I told her to take my Dad to the shop's doctor and let me know when they'd seen him.

Sophie came downstairs as well and was really concerned but until my Mum called back there was little I could do. She went to get ready and then went off to the gym. She was at work today so we're back to the normal routine.

I went with Keith to take Mike to work this morning as I needed to know where to drop him off if I ever take him on my own. We drove back as if we were going to my place of work and I was confident that I would be early, so that was a relief.

My Mum called later to say that my Dad had seen the doctor and they'd advised some tests, which my Dad didn't want to have. She asked if we could get a flight home from Madeira where they'll dock tomorrow so I spent an hour looking at flights home for them.

We popped over to their house to make sure everything was OK and watered the plants. As we were leaving my Mum called and said could we go to Madeira as she wouldn't be able to manage all the suitcases they'd taken with them...

Keith and I went straight home but I had no intention of flying out to the island. For a start there were hardly any flights and even then we'd have to stay a couple of nights before returning home. My Mum phoned again and said that the cruise liner would arrange for their bags to be brought home so they would only have one to carry.

I spent the next few hours booking a hotel near the airport as the next available flight was on Friday night and the cruise ship left on Thursday evening. I was then able to get them onto a Jet2 flight going to Birmingham on Friday evening. I felt really low about all this and worried about how my Dad would be on the journey home.

Keith and I spent the rest of the day at home and I had a nap in the early afternoon. It was another glorious day but the weather is set to change after tomorrow, unfortunately.

I am back at work tomorrow and I'm not looking forward to it!

No comments: