Saturday 1 August 2015

Come on baby...light my fire!

It's been a busy day today and our Saturday didn't get off to a wonderful start when water from Sophie's shower leaked into the kitchen below, seeping around one of the ceiling lights and dripping onto the floor. Keith was asleep in bed so I had to call him and for the next hour we tried to sort it out.

Sophie was meeting two friends for breakfast at Beckworth Emporium so we took her at 9am and returned for some breakfast of our own. When I took a shower Keith crawled under the shower tray and said there as some water leaking out of one of the pipes. I think we need a whole new en-suite to be honest as our shower has always leaked, right from day one when we used to have a building site manager still on the estate!

We left home at 11am to pop to Jones's but Sophie called on the way and asked to be picked up so we diverted back to Beckworth to collect her. She had some very sad news about her friend's mum who has terminal cancer so it really put the problems with our leaky shower into perspective.

At Jones's we bought some loo rolls, more grass seed and fat balls and then went home where Keith and I mooched about until it was time for him to go to a local football match and Sophie and I to go to Farndon Fields Farm shop.

On the way we took a call from work as our flaky receptionist had walked out after having an argument with another member of staff. This day was really turning out well! As soon as I reached the farm shop I called Maureen and mananged to smooth the ruffled feathers and sort it out. Our receptionist hadn't actually gone so I persuaded her to stay until the end of the day and then asked Polly to cover for her on Sunday. Hopefully in a couple of weeks this will no longer be my problem!

Sophie and I enjoyed tea and cake at Farndon Fields and we were a little surprised to see the tea served in cafetiere-style jugs. What's wrong with a good old china teapot? The milk came in a mini mlk bottle as well so although it was very nice, I did find it all a little pretentious!

We mooched about the farm shop and I bought some foods for lunch tomorrow as well as some delicious strawberries and peaches. They have a fabulous range of fresh vegetables, fruit, meats and breads and I could have spent a fortune!

As it was Mike's last night before Army Camp we ordered a Papa John's pizza take-away and Keith and I went to collect it at 7.30pm. The plan was to have dinner and then light a log thing that I'd bought in Jones's and toast marshmallows over it in the garden.

After some difficulty we managed to light the stick inside the log and dragged Sophie's old sofa out of the garage for the kids to sit on.


Sophie preferred to sit on an old sleeping bag with Monty...


We experimented with the panorama format on my Hudl...


We had a lovely evening and toasted lots of marshmallows which were very sticky and sweet!



Mike went off to the village as two of his friends came to call and Sophie went inside as it was chilly, which just left Keith and I sitting outside. The logs was burning beautifully and Keith added some woods to the logs to make it burn a little brighter. We both found the flames mesmerising and it was lovely to sit outside in the peace and quiet and watch the bats flitting about overhead!

No comments: