Monday 3 August 2015

Rushing about...again!

Today was supposed to have been the first day of our holiday but at 8am Sophie and I left for work as we had to go in, do the cleaning and make sure the wages were done.

Dad met us at the door, very annoyed that our weekend cleaner had nothing at all in her cleaning bucket! I thought at first that he was angry as someone had been in and cleaned for us and we'd had a wasted journey, but no such luck! I must admit that I was surprised he was in before us!

It didn't take us long, though, and by 9am the three of us were finished. I have no idea what Dad used to clean the toilets but they smelt nice when he finished! Sophie and I sorted out the money from the weekend and Maureen arrived to open up the kitchen. She was going to look after Reception when we left to go home as we'd given Polly the day off.

I was glad we weren't busy today as I would have felt terrible leaving just Maureen and Ricky, our assistant cook, to manage the place. The weather was warm and dry even though there was a fair bit of cloud about and we had just a handful of customers in all day.

Soph and I went over to the bank, bought some picnic foods in Tesco for our journey tomorrow (along with a whole array of cleaning products) and then headed back to work for lunch. My daughter had a nail appointment at 2pm and I went along with her as there was no point in me going home to return an hour later. It was very relaxing sitting there watching the beautician at work and although I thought her nails looked beautiful, Sophie wasn't so sure.

From the salon we sped off to see Mum for half an hour and we were really pleased to find her much improved and able to get about. She'd been walking up and down the corridor and had been up and down the stairs so she was all set to return home the next day, which was a relief to me. Even though she probably won't venture into work this week, she can still do some things from home that will keep the place running!

We drove back to work through the rush-hour traffic to work to pick up our chilled food and found the place about to be shut up for the day. I'm surprised we lasted that long! It was lovely to bid a fond farewell to Maureen and Ricky and then go home to start packing.

We were in a quandary about what to pack to be honest...warm clothes? Wet weather gear? Walking boots? Umbrellas? So different to what we normally pack for a summer holiday! It was lovely, though, not to have to worry about weights and putting liquids into hand luggage!

It didn't take us long to get all our clothes together and then it was time to relax for a while and look forward to our break!


No comments: