Saturday 8 September 2012

Blissful Saturday!

Today has been a really lovely day. I was awake very early at 6am so I went downstairs and watched the film "One Day" starring Anne Hathaway with a cup of coffee, which was a great beginning to the weekend.

After breakfast (and to work off my sausage sandwich) I changed our bed (always a major operation) and then washed my dirty little car. This is always a great opportunity for chats with the neighbours so Keith and I caught up with Gill from next door, Jenny whose daughter, Laura, had just passed her driving test and Liam who was walking Max.

Unfortunately Sophie had to go back to work today so we dropped her off and then Keith and I went to Waitrose to hunt for Indian and Chinese wines for the Wine Evening. We searched high and low for the wines and in the end I asked an assistant who found some Chinese red for me. Although I'd heard about Waitrose stocking Indian wines I couldn't find any at all so I bought an Austrian white which will do for now but I'm still on the hunt!

From Waitrose we drove to Booker to buy some more chicken as the chicken we'd defrosted this morning for our dinner on Sunday evening smelt rather bad...we're not sure whether it was because it was left in the car last weekend so we decided not to risk it!

On the way home Keith suggested a drink in the local pub and who am I to say no? I was half way through my drink when the phone rang and it was Sophie asking me to go and pick her up from work as they didn't need her. Grrrr! I left Keith in the pub, sped over to get her and then brought her back for a quick drink before we went home.

We had a quick sandwich and a sit down before we were off again to the gym to meet Mum and Dad who were just getting in the pool when we arrived. We only wanted to swim and luckily the pool was almost empty. Perfect!

I swam for half an hour and it seemed like I worked harder than I do upstairs on the treadmill! I am not a fast swimmer at all, unlike Liam who arrived shortly after us and powered up and down extremely quickly, but I swam steadily and I could feel my heart pumping away so that was good! I finished off my session with Sophie and Mum in the spa (also empty) so it was a very relaxing visit today. I think we will come at this time again as there were no swimming lessons on at all and no screaming children!

Back home Sophie dragged us out as she wanted to try and capture the sunset with her borrowed camera. Keith came with us leaving Mikey at home once again, although I think he enjoyed having the house to himself. We drove to a vantage point I'd noted a few weeks earlier and although we were a bit early Sophie did take some lovely photos. At one point a man drove by in an old Morris Minor so Sophie took a photo of the car and we chatted to the driver who was on the lookout for an old steam engine that we'd passed on the road as he wanted to take some photos of it himself. How lovely to strike up a conversation like that, with a complete stranger, because of a shared interest in photography!

We stayed watching the sunset and enjoying the gorgeous scenery for half an hour and then headed home to barbecued beefburgers, a good glass of Californian Pinot Noir and the knowledge that our own Andy Murray is through to the finals of the US Open! Hooray!






No comments: