Friday 8 June 2012

What a fun day!

Today has been horrible, that's the only way I can describe it and when they say things come in threes, they're certainly right! My three all revolved around toilets!

The rain started early again so we had queues out of the door first thing and in the end Dad had to go and stand at the gate to stop people coming in as we were up to capacity by about 11.30am. I patrolled the framework with Polly and mum and I have to admit it was good to see the children enjoying themselves so much.

In the early afternoon I was stopped by a customer who said that one of our toilet cubicles in the Ladies' was locked and it was causing a bit of a queue. I went up and had a look and it seemed that a little girl (and she must have been small) had locked the loo from the inside and had then slid under the door to escape. I took our cook's daughter, Lucy, with me as she is a tiny girl but even she was too big to squeeze under the door. To cut a very long story short, I eventually cleared the toilets of onlookers and then leaned right over the door on a pair of stepladders until I managed to whack the bolt the right way up and I could manoeuvre it open.

After I did that I went and had some lunch, then ventured back outside to stand in the pouring rain and howling wind to stop customers coming in again as we'd reached capacity for the second time in the day. As I made my way back in after almost an hour of standing outside and resembling a drowned rat, no doubt, a customer came up to tell me that a little girl had taken her knickers and skirt off at the top of one of our ramps and had weed everywhere! I rushed over to Reception to get our spillages box and managed to mop it all up with the help of Dad who supplied me with some very thick paper towels and disinfectant. The mum then appeared to apologise and I handed over her daughter's sodden clothes! What a lovely job!

Then, as I made my way to go and wash my hands another bloomin' customer told me there was such a bad smell in the toilets she couldn't bring herself to go in there... I went up and investigated and although there was a faint whiff of dirty nappy (it's a toilet and changing area after all!) I couldn't find anything wrong! The only thing I can think of is that she went in there just after someone had changed their baby's bum!

Was I glad to get home this evening!

No comments: