Monday 4 June 2012

Retail therapy

So another Bank Holiday has arrived (the first of two this week) and the weather brightened up! I spent the morning cleaning the conservatory windowsills (I know how to enjoy myself) as they were full of dead leaves and bits of bush. I love our conservatory but I really do not like all the cleaning that has to be done in order to keep it looking good!

In the afternoon, Mum, Soph and I went off to Milton Keynes, the trip we should have done yesterday. I foolishly imagined that the place would be quiet as the weather was dry and a bit sunny but no, the car parks were heaving and there were queues of vehicles waiting to pounce on any empty spaces. I normally park in the multi-storey but the queue was horrendous so I found a space opposite the main car parks where there were plenty of places to park. I discovered the reason why the place was so packed when I went to pay and saw that for today and tomorrow, because of the Jubilee, it was free!!!

We had a lunch stop first at Caffe Italia (delicious mushroom omelettes and sandwiches) and then we headed to Schuh to look for Prom shoes for Sophie. She found a beautiful pair of glittery silver heels that were perfect to go with her dress. Her doting Nan paid for them as a treat which was just fine with me!

The rest of the shopping trip revolved around my daughter as she tried on clothes in New Look, experimented with underwear in M&S and spotted a perfect bag in River Island. I bought Keith some clothes for the upcoming Father's Day and chose some tee shirts and shorts for Mikey who is in dire need of new clothes.

When I staggered out of the food hall in M&S with yet more shopping I decided to take all our purchases back to the car and moved it nearer to John Lewis. I was wearing a new pair of sandals, always a mistake, and my feet were beginning to hurt! In John Lewis Sophie wanted a crepe so Mum and I had a cup of tea and rested our weary feet before going to the schoolwear department and buying Mikey a new blazer. John Lewis is undergoing a lot of refurbishment at the moment and I noticed a new spa being planned...hmmm! I might have to go there with mum and Sophie for a treat!

After buying the blazer we headed home and this is where a little trouble started... Our village was having a big celebration for the Jubilee and had arranged for the main road to be closed. Unfortunately I needed to use this road to get Mum home but I was refused entry by a couple of men who had clearly been indulging a little too much in the beer tent. They wouldn't let me through despite a reassurance in our local newsletter saying that residents would have access. I was forced to use one of the narrow single lane roads that is full of deep potholes and I was not happy! As soon as I eventually reached home I sent an angry missive to the local Parish councillor venting my annoyance!

I shall be bloomin' glad when this Jubilee is all over!

No comments: