Tuesday 22 March 2011

I set off the fire alarms...again!

Yesterday was not really a very good day. As part of our agreement with the new people who are moving into the space next door, we had to test the fire alarms. Dad turned the control panel to "test" while I stood in the space and listened. They went off, but I still wasn't satisfied so I went to get our long broom and did what I did a few months ago with the smoke alarm - waved it underneath the sensor to make it seem like smoke. It duly went off, frightened my parents out of their wits...and then wouldn't turn off. Ooops!

I raced back to Dad and it stopped, only to start again within the minute, and it did this for the next hour...Dad was marooned next to the control panel because he couldn't stop it. I went and tried to clear out whatever was causing the alarm to go off in the smoke alarm but nothing would stop it. To make it worse, the people who were renting out the space were also in seeing some builders, so it was even more embarrassing! In the end we called Chubb to arrange for an engineer to come out and by some miracle, the noise stopped. I felt terrible and I'm beginning to feel as if I'm jinxed!

Needless to say, the engineer came out, charged an exorbitant price to put things right so I'm not the most popular person at the moment. Maybe I should give myself a final written warning!

No comments: